Montana x-bows illegal

in Montana x-bows are illegal to hunt with during the archery season for everyone . as a handi -cap person with a valid doctor permit for Montana i still am not allowed to use a x-bow during archery season. i did purchase a draw lock system for my compound bow but that is very difficult to carry in the mountains and the draw lock is legal in Montana but its a real joke for a handi -cap person to carry and use. Montana bowhunters association is against people with a disability ,i wonder if that is even legal in America to be against handi-cap people like that ? any attorneys out there ? it might be some easy money ?
Twolf; If I remember right,I thought we settled this last year? The State will not budge,so no Xbows! Sorry Bro. I know how you feel .They keep saying the law is the law!!

If everyone is really so upset about changing something,get a hold of your Senator or Rep and send a letter to him or her stating your concerns. Then get a petition,have all concerned people sign it and then send it. It has to start somewhere! It all starts with the last letter of the word YOU! Good Luck Friends;

I say make crossbows legal. My young granddaughter used on this year to take her first archery deer.

In the past I was one of those die hard traditional bow hunters. Hunted with a recurve and longbow. You know, "real archery tackle"…

I no longer feel that way. Some of you need to lighten up. I know people who are passionate about hunting, especially with archery gear. Some of those people will likely never be extremely proficient due to gender, strength, and age with verticals archery gear. A crossbow would make perfect sense for them.

I shoot a compound now, but at one point thought I was gonna have to switch to crossbow due to some severe joint issues.

If we took the principles of archery and applied it to guns, none of us would be using modern scoped tack driving bolt action rifles. We'd be using something less efficient, etc.

Our forefathers woulda loved to be able to use any and all of the equipment we have available to us in our modern era.
Well said Buttermilk!

Yup and then reduce the amount of tags and opportunities issued during the Archery season as the success rate will go through the roof using crossbows with scopes. Allows for very fast shot. Just as many states are now are not allowing scopes on Muzzleloaders anymore or allowing the new style Muzzleloader bolt action type you see. Makes sense huh?

Many states have Crossbow/Muzzleloader season, use the Crossbow then. Or many states have a challenged access tag you can apply for with proper documentation from your doctor. To just put a blanket ok on Crossbow during Archery is over the top. Everyone would the use a Crossbow. If Montana doesn't have a season like that then maybe attend one of the open Game and Fish public meetings and make the suggestion of adding one.

Anyways…. dead horse

Here we go again. I say make high power modern rifles legal with primitive weapns/black powder muzle loader rifles. That is the same thing as x-bows for archery, isn't it?🤣

Last edited:
Yup and then reduce the amount of tags and opportunities issued during the Archery season as the success rate will go through the roof using crossbows with scopes. Allows for very fast shot. Just as many states are now are not allowing scopes on Muzzleloaders anymore or allowing the new style Muzzleloader bolt action type you see. Makes sense huh?

Many states have Crossbow/Muzzleloader season, use the Crossbow then. Or many states have a challenged access tag you can apply for with proper documentation from your doctor. To just put a blanket ok on Crossbow during Archery is over the top. Everyone would the use a Crossbow. If Montana doesn't have a season like that then maybe attend one of the open Game and Fish public meetings and make the suggestion of adding one.

Anyways…. dead horse
JAYgs8163: Grandpa always said a dead horse is not dead till it's dead!

Reckon those bragging about impressive crossbow kills ruined it like the LR muzzleloader braggers ruined the optics option for ML seasons?

Sometimes it's prudent to blame your fellow hunters instead of the politicians who change the laws to appease the whiners. The whiners can't whine about what they not know.

Well said Buttermilk!

I say make crossbows legal. My young granddaughter used on this year to take her first archery deer.

In the past I was one of those die hard traditional bow hunters. Hunted with a recurve and longbow. You know, "real archery tackle"…

I no longer feel that way. Some of you need to lighten up. I know people who are passionate about hunting, especially with archery gear. Some of those people will likely never be extremely proficient due to gender, strength, and age with verticals archery gear. A crossbow would make perfect sense for them.

I shoot a compound now, but at one point thought I was gonna have to switch to crossbow due to some severe joint issues.

If we took the principles of archery and applied it to guns, none of us would be using modern scoped tack driving bolt action rifles. We'd be using something less efficient, etc.

Our forefathers woulda loved to be able to use any and all of the equipment we have available to us in our modern era.
yes well said ! when you talk archery equipment those Montana archery hunting laws were put in place before the compound bow and release aids were used . don`t forget bows or x-bows with wheels used are around 50 years old only , regular limbed x-bows have been used for 100`s of years as a archery weapon and a hunting tool.

Last edited: