moderate long range options

Akkill

Hello everyone i'm planing to buy a new factory rifle for moderate long range lets say 600 yrds my bigest concern is if the rifle have a 90º bolt lift i probably wont be able to instal a big scope whit a fat tube like the ior 3-18x42 and 34mm tube or any other 30mm tube, i where tinking in some options like:
remington sendero 90º bolt lift
weatherby accumark 54º
browning m-1000 60º

caliber of choice 7mm rem mag or wsm if browning elected, i also want to install a picatinny base and ior 34mm rings.

questions: is anyone using a fat scope on a sendero rifle? where can i find a picatinny rail for a weatherby accumark ? and out of the box whish of this rifles ofers more accuracy ?

thx for your time

M40A1E.jpg

I have used a big fat 30mm tube USO SN3 on my Rem 700 w/no bolt issues.

Also believe that Badger Ord makes a picatinny rail that fits a Weatherby Mk V action.

Regards, Guy

I built my 280 rem for exactly the sort of distance you are talking about, and, as these things do, it now has changed a bit. I have a 700BDL with a 25" medium contour barrel, Evolution Gun Works 15MOA rail and a IOR 3-18 in low rings- it all works just fine, and I can't say enough good things about the scope.
The load is a 162 AMax at 2850 or so, and I find it works very well on deer. I chose the 280 over the WSM due to having a limited choice in left hand actions at the time (the Savage wasn't out then) and wanted something that would be dead reliable in feeding, as I shoot a lot of goats with this rifle and as a bonus the cheaper brass means you don't cry when you loose a few in the long grass.
Good luck with the build.
Regards
Ross

i have a remignton sendero thats been trued and new barrel 28 broughton. chambered in 7mm wsm. i have a ken farrel 20 moa base with f a enterprise rings. it has a leupold mark 4 30 mil scope in it with no propblem. i did have ssg install a tactical bolt hanlde, makes its easier to open bolt when in prone position.

If this rifle is for hunting out to 600 yards and you are going to spend that kind of money then get a better cartridge for 600 yard hunting. Those two will easily kill something at that range with a perfect hit. But they are terrible choices if your shot is not perfect. I have just seen to many marginal shots by people through the years and a lot of dead animals never recovered.

nice so u tink a 7 mag is not so good at 600 yrds even whit the heavy hi bc bullets like 160 accubond or 162 a-max ? i hunt mainly white tail but never did at that distance just need a good combination and begin my practice to be sure what i`m doing, i allso hunt foxes, raccons and similar sized anymals inside 300 yrs.
an other question is whish of this 2 rem and weatherby have beter extractor ?
i see many people in other forums instaling sako extractor on remington rifles.

The 7mm WSM is more than enough for 600 yards.....granted a good shot will make sure the animal dies but having a 50 BMG won't help kill anything if you shoot it in the *** bone..... Lots of people use the 7mm RM and WSM out beyond 1000 yards with no accuracy/ death issues. Bullet construction plays more of a role at those ranges though, Accubonds, Barnes and the quality repeatable expansion type bullets.

If you go with a picatanny type rail and set your ring height appropriatly you should be fine with any type of rifle but an Enfield....

7WSM or 7RM are plenty to 600yds for deer. As long as its accurate, its plenty. A 160gr Accubond leaving at 3000fps still has nearly 1700fpe at 600yds (at 5000ft elevation). Thats enough for a lot bigger animal than a whitetail when hit correctly.

AJ

ok guys now who can tell me whish one have better extractor rem or wheaterby i really like the accumark ok remington too but i dont want pure accuracy i need reliability and super strong bases or rail and rings most rifles seems to come whit tiny screws, ruger comes whit a good set of rings but regular accuracy .
i allso want a decent triger

a 7 mmrm or a wsm would be a good choice for this yardage and farther if high bc/heavy for caliber bullets are used.7mm rem mag is one of the top 10 selling calibers.but as with most who get into this stuff,you will want to shoot farther.when i bought a rifle i looked at 7mmrm and 300wm.i chose the 300wm.why?can shoot heavier bullets for more downrange energy.as far as i know the major non custom bullet makers make a 175 grain bullet for 7 mag.the 300wm can shoot 180,200,220 grain bullets that are easy to aquire.my brother,dad and i allhave 300wmlong range rifles and shoot smk's and amax.but if your goal is 600 yards.7mmrm or wsm---good choice.jason

thx guys very nice respond from u the fact is that i saw some bullets in 7mm whit higer bc than 30 bullets like bergers and some others plus 7mm recoil less i can take more recoil but less recoil allways help placing shoots accurately other caliber of choice is one of the big 30 like the 300 wheaterby or rum but maybe that can be other rifle proyect.
keep posting any advice is welcome, o someting else about the 300 win mag when you reload long bullets like 220 grains smk dont u have to seat them too deep ?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.