Long range scope

after scope "window shopping" and reading reviews for the last cpl months or so, ive come to the conclusion for my $1000 im leaning towards the zeiss hd5 5-25x50. i was also looking at the vortex pst but im not too sure about that one, i have seen too many sub par reviews than id like to see with that scope for what it costs.

Did you check out the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 ? Great scope I just got one a few weeks ago. Optics planet has some for about $725. Like you I shopped around for awhile. The reviews fro these are great. The side focus is stiff, but not a show stopper.

I'm pretty sure Jerry Teo is an advocate of the Sightron scopes. I've not had the pleasure of looking through any of them but I'm likely to trust his judgment and experience on more than just optics.

Personally, I have a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 and while the reticle is lacking, I'm quite impressed with the accuracy and repeatability of the elevation turret. Looking back, I should have spent the extra $$ and went for that fancy XLR version.

I have the pst 4-16 in moa. For hunting I like it. Can use hold over for quick shots and hold for wind or dial. The knobs are nice and it has a zero stop. It has a lot of what I want in a hunting scope but the glass sucks....sorry guys but its true...I put a 300$ zeiss 3x9 on my sons 243 and it is head and shoulders above the vortex in brightness and clarity

Leupold VX-3 6.5 x 20 x 50 with Kenton Turret. Can't see spending so much money on scopes when Leupold is a solid performer and American made.

Leupold VX-3 6.5 x 20 x 50 with Kenton Turret. Can't see spending so much money on scopes when Leupold is a solid performer and American made.

Luppy claims a good eye-relief, but using the 6.5-20 doesn't prove it. It's difficult to find a "happy medium" when trying to mount this scope. Either your too close at one magnification, or too far away for the other extreme.
Those are not "cheap" scopes either. The lower end starts around $700.00 I think. If you purchase the LR MV with M1 knobs, the problem seems to be less, and they are over $1000.00.

All good suggestions. Just make sure you mount it properly for long range shooting - critical. I have developed a tool to make sure that your rifle is level - perfectly - prior to aligning your reticle to a plum line. Many people (myself included) have to many times aligned my reticle nicely on top of a slightly canted rifle in a vice. This causes headaches very long range. Anyway there are several solutions in the market of course of which many are useful. This one I believe truly gives the shooter the confidence there is not bore/reticle misalignment - but the shooter still has to hold his lined up rig level in the field. At least no built in issues are present however. Hope this is helpful regardless of how you decide to install whichever scope you choose. Happy hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUdPJToKibHd22VYb7yavA

All good suggestions. Just make sure you mount it properly for long range shooting - critical. I have developed a tool to make sure that your rifle is level - perfectly - prior to aligning your reticle to a plum line. Many people (myself included) have to many times aligned my reticle nicely on top of a slightly canted rifle in a vice. This causes headaches very long range. Anyway there are several solutions in the market of course of which many are useful. This one I believe truly gives the shooter the confidence there is not bore/reticle misalignment - but the shooter still has to hold his lined up rig level in the field. At least no built in issues are present however. Hope this is helpful regardless of how you decide to install whichever scope you choose. Happy hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUdPJToKibHd22VYb7yavA

tsk...tsk...tsk....

sic 'em fellers!! :D

DocB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.