Model 700 Mountain Rifle problem

It seems to like any 150 I shoot through my rifle wants to work. Of course, some slightly better than others but all within MOA or better. Funny...my buddy had some old military surplus 30-06, 150gr loaded in 1942 that shot better than 1/2 MOA group.

These wimpy light barrels sure are a pain!

roda- you are at the range shooting ? and i am at work! hey! do you know how many guys on 24hourcampfire kill elk every year with a 270/130?? those 150's will do it. luckily my mtn rifle were not that finicky. both shoot real good. and they carry a lot better than the sendero. without a brake you really knew then they went off. some time try a 200 partition and 59 gr 4831. enjoy. and good luck

This is just a thought. In the past, I have had terrible luck shooting from a rest like u are using when shooting heavier recoiling rifles. I found that when the rifle recoiled in the rest, it would do so inconsistently and effect the bullet impact. I have much more control off sandbags. I discovered this accidentally when shooting a known 1/2moa rifle and load. I took my bipod off so a friend could try it and then I used his rest. Grouped bad for the rifle, put the bipod on and shot well. Since then I have played around with this and believe it to be true. ARs for example. I can shoot them accurately with a rest but have to be overly cautious to make sure I am set up and controlling recoil exactly the same every time. I realize this is important no matter what rest you use but for me its more difficult with a rest like u are using. Other light recoiling rifles don't seem to be an issue. Maybe in your rifle the 180's are causing just enough additional recoil to jump a little more and then settle differently after the shot and this is effecting the group. Just a thought. Also, on pencil barrels we have found that letting the barrel cool completely between shots is necessary. Good luck

I was wondering if anyone was going to bring that up. Jack O'Conner sure didn't have any issue, neither did a whole lot of folks with a 30-30. Besides my bow all the elk, deer, etc I have ever killed were with a 3006. I liked the 165gr Noslers though. My rifle just threw them well. I shot 2 Carbibou with it as well. DOA 1 shot, 225 yards, and 250 yards. Now, this is LR hunting site so perhaps the limiting factors are distance and therefore the more punch you can deliver the better. I guess I don't see why a well built bullet put the right spot won't do the job.

Thanks for all the input! I now feel good about using a good quality 150gr round to put one on the ground. Sometimes you need to hear someone else say it! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.