Rebarrel 700 remington 280 mountain rifle

junior71

I am wanting to rebarrel a 700 remington 280 mountain rifle. I am not a fan of the little barrel. It's an older blued model. Who do you guys recommend for the job, and what barrel? I will shoot this around a 100 times a year, but I do have 2 boys that may get there hands on it.

I am wanting to rebarrel a 700 remington 280 mountain rifle. I am not a fan of the little barrel. It's an older blued model. Who do you guys recommend for the job, and what barrel? I will shoot this around a 100 times a year, but I do have 2 boys that may get there hands on it.

Proof Research 26" Sendero contour barrel w/ a 1:8 twist, chambered for .280 AI or .280 Sherman.

As for who to do the work, there are lots of great gunsmiths here on the site. Also, you can check around on the internet for local gunsmiths in your area, then research them and make sure their reps are good for quality work.

Thanks for the reply. I've thought about the 280AI, sounds like a winner! I have 7stw that has always been the got to! I can't really see hunting without the HP of the stw, but my legs and back say otherwise. We have started doing a lot of high country hunting out west, and weight is an issue. How much weight can I save with a proof research? Need to do some research on this for sure. I have looked into the Bartlein barrels but sounds like it may take some time to get one.
Also living on the east coast (Maryland) a good Smith that doesn't take 6 months is hard to come by.

You can get a Brux fluted down to a #3 contour and they will turn it around pretty fast. I have one on a super lightweight 270 SS and it shoots GREAT! It will not weigh any more than a carbon fiber and your wallet will weigh a LOT more when you are done!.......Rich

Why didn't you guys fill me in on the 7mm ss? I have an old 700 243. that also needs a new barrel!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.