Model 70 .338 Norma Mag

Too Tall Rosenwald

Gentleman, I had a smith turn a Model 70 Classic, in 7mm Rem Mag to a .338 Norma. What I was wondering was if someone makes a removable magazine that could be fit to this rifle? And where to get extra mags for it?

I might have tried to steer you wrong accidentally. I was thinking 308 Norma which should world through that magazine just fine. It didn't dawn on me the 338 Norma uses a totally different case, 416 rigby based. I doubt that magazine would work with a 338 Norma. Sorry if I tried to lead you astray.

.338 Norma Magnum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The barrel tenon diameter on a Model 70 is too small for a 338 Norma case. Some Gunsmiths enlarge them to 1.062" for the standard belted cases. Some people think that 1.062" is still too small for a 338 Norma sized case.

What do you mean, early pressure signs?

Difficult extraction. Brass would stick in the chamber even with reduced loads. I sent the rifle out to a different smith to be checked out. He said everything speced out fine (headspace, chamber, barrel). The best answer I got was from a well known gunmaker, that one bolt lug was to small, causing (if I remember right) torquing. He said he had some pressure problems in the past using model 70's and for that reason, doesn't build on them for Lapua based builds.

Who knows, maybe it was just bad brass but I couldn't use the rifle and am converting it to something different. Could be yours will work just fine and I hope it does.

Difficult extraction. Brass would stick in the chamber even with reduced loads. I sent the rifle out to a different smith to be checked out. He said everything speced out fine (headspace, chamber, barrel). The best answer I got was from a well known gunmaker, that one bolt lug was to small, causing (if I remember right) torquing. He said he had some pressure problems in the past using model 70's and for that reason, doesn't build on them for Lapua based builds.

Who knows, maybe it was just bad brass but I couldn't use the rifle and am converting it to something different. Could be yours will work just fine and I hope it does.

The issue is the thickness of the chamber wall of the barrel. It expands too much when fired and after it springs back, the brass is stuck.

Small shank Savage does the same thing, once you start getting the pressure up to where you are actually getting something done and you run into the chamber swelling then grabbing brass.

Small shank Savage does the same thing, once you start getting the pressure up to where you are actually getting something done and you run into the chamber swelling then grabbing brass.

Chamber swelling... That's the first time I've heard of that but that sounds just like what was happening. So in such a situation, your saying the shank is to thin or short and doesn't provide enough resistance to keep the chamber from expanding?

Your thoughts on a fix or avoidance?

It's not something I thought of but the fix and avoidance is simple. When using that large diameter brass, use an action designed for a minimum tenon diameter of 1.125".

I have shot 284 rounds through this rifle, with no problems. I shot this rife yesterday out to 1543 yards in -3 temperature.
The question was removable bottom metal.
I want to have a magazine because the most accurate load is too long for the well.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts