Model 70 .270 long range build

amork

I currently have a post 64 winchester model 70 featherweight in a .270 with a completely shot out barrel. I want to look at the options for starting mid range (4 to 700 yard build on it and am looking for ideas, opinions, and reccomendations. The only thing I would prefer not to change is the caliber as I have everything to reload for it and plenty of bullets and brass to last a long time. Thanks

Then stick with the .270 but put a 28" barrel in a Sendero or heavier contour if it's going to be a dedicated LR rig.

Any of the better known barrel guys can turn what you need.

I"m a big fan of Kriegers but my next barrel will probably come from Chris at Benchmark.

Then stick with the .270 but put a 28" barrel in a Sendero or heavier contour if it's going to be a dedicated LR rig.

Any of the better known barrel guys can turn what you need.

I"m a big fan of Kriegers but my next barrel will probably come from Chris at Benchmark.

+1! IIWY, I'd go with 1:8" to take advantage of the high BC/heavier bullet offerings; 165/175 Matrix VLDs, 150 LRABs, and 170 Berger VLD (hopefully soon), etc ...

I am very pleased with http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/

Good luck!

The first thing I would change is the stock. I had the same gun with a walnut stock and it would shift POI a lot when it got cold. This gun cost me a few coyotes and a big 4 point buck because it wouldn't shoot straight when it got cold. Go with a decent synthetic or laminated wood stock. Free float the barrel, bed the action and chamber area.

Probably want to put a good trigger on there too.

For a barrel, considering this is a 700 yard gun, I would get a #4 or #5 contour in 22-24" length. I like Pac-Nor because its easy to send them my action and they do everything for a reasonable price. If you have a good gunsmith close by then you have many options...see which brand he likes working with. A 10 twist is adequate for most bullets up to 150 grains but I agree with FEENIX that a little faster twist would be better for a long range gun.

.270 is a great caliber for the distances you are talking about.

el Matador is spot on with his comments. I had a Cooper in a .270. That was a sporter weight rifle that took a lot of marmots as far as 750 yards out.

The 270 is a fantastic cartridge. I would build a 270 AI because the brass will last longer & if you like slightly longer barrels (26"-28") your velocity will increase. Don't under estimate good Sierra Game King bullets. I have put a truck load of elk & deer in the freezer with the 130 GK.
Good luck, Kirk

I just got the old 270 out and worked up a load with the 150 Berger. It took 6 shoots before it started shooting bug holes. I love mine. It is a one in ten light weight. The only way to fly if you have to carry it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.