Possible Long Range 700 Build?

xAsylum

Just wanted to run my possible build past you guys to see what you think...keep in mind that I'm a poor 18 year old college student just starting to get in the game.

-Remington 700 SPS-V chambered in .308
-Leupold VX-3
-Harris Bipod
-EGW Picatinny 1 Piece 20 MOA Base
-Weaver 1" medium 4 Hole Tactical Rings

I would love feedback. I want to keep the price range similar to what I currently have, but if something is better and near the same price please suggest it. I would like to stay with a Leupold scope and a Remington rifle, though, because I get a rather large discount on both.

Thank you,

Hunter Welch

Looks good to get ya started. You have a great platform to start with. I would take a few extra dollars and get the trigger adjusted down to 2.5-2# and have the action bedded. I use weaver rings and the EGW base and find them both to be very usable. I have not had any problems with either. Make sure you do a good barrel break in and have the barrel crown checked.

Tank

where are you ? what are you shooting at? i have used burris rings with the plastic insert with good results and cheap.

If you have access to simple hand tools you can easily adjust the trigger and glass bed the rifle yourself. Nice to know how to work on your own equipment too.

I too have a 700 SPS in .308 standard barrel though and it's been loads of fun. Don't know if the SPS-Varmit stock is better than the garbage plastic that comes on the standard SPS. You'll most likely want to upgrade it soon but it makes a great stock to practice glass bedding, etc. with.

I think .308 is a great gun to learn with. Lots of access to bullets and info for those bullets, not hard to shoot recoil wise and fairly inexpensive compared to the larger cases. Does not fare as well in the wind but when you're learning I think that makes it a good learning tool and you'll be a better shooter in the end because of it. Also you should be able to take most game in North America to respectable ranges 400-600 yards and can easily punch paper further out.

Not a bad start. I'd trade to some Talley LWs for the rings though. If you really need the elevation boost, I like the Seekins rings and bases, but they'll run ~$200 for both.

Do you handload?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.