Long range build

Arcticman78

Hi guys. Im building a Howa .308 win. And want a MacMillan stock. What other pieces am I going to need? I will have the barrel, action, and trigger. I assumed that I would upgrade trigger. What do I need and what needs to be done to shoot accurately out to 1000yds consistently?

I don't think you're going to find too many answers much different than the answers you got on your other threads about this topic.

Just wanted some reassurance that I'm not doing the wrong thing. I've made plenty of stupid decisions when it comes to purchasing stuff. Thanks for answering my questions guys!! I will put this together and maybe down the road I will do a custom build. But for what I can do, and the level of shooting I think I'm on the right path

Just wanted some reassurance that I'm not doing the wrong thing. I've made plenty of stupid decisions when it comes to purchasing stuff. Thanks for answering my questions guys!! I will put this together and maybe down the road I will do a custom build. But for what I can do, and the level of shooting I think I'm on the right path

Search this sight over and over again, google is your friend. It sounds like you plan on taking a howa factory barreled action and just putting it into a new expensive stock and calling it a build? I've never owned a howa but I can assure you it is not a popular action on this site nor any other site. For that reason alone I'd start reconsidering my action of choice.

If you go w/ a rem 700 or 700 clone you will have far more options down the road, you may never need to go full custom. Savage is another popular option. There are good factory offerings by both makers that may save you a $600 stock upgrade leaving you w/ a bigger budget for glass.

If I were in your shoes I would not buy the howa. Its a different story if you already have it laying around.

Rem700 308 milspec would be in my shopping cart.

I'd say skip all the gear upgrades and buy bullets/powder/primers and reloading gear. Practice will make you good at distance (reading wind, mirage, etc). We all like gear, but it's returns are minimal compared to a skill set.

I'd say skip all the gear upgrades and buy bullets/powder/primers and reloading gear. Practice will make you good at distance (reading wind, mirage, etc). We all like gear, but it's returns are minimal compared to a skill set.

+1 on that. Get a repeatable scope and reload for your rifle. Find our what it can do and you'll stretch the limits of what you know now.

Nothing wrong with a Howa. I have several of them. Word of advice with them is either their barrels are good or not...I have a 223 that does well. Accurate and it doesnt copper up bad. My stepsons 270 is a nice rifle also. My 300 win mag I wont shoot anymore till it gets another barrel. MOA accurate at 100yds but copper fouls something terrible. I got tired of cleaning. Bore must be as smooth as a stone driveway, its slow for the powder charge and fouls to where it wont shoot well in less than 20 shots. Their factory triggers are not the best, which isnt much different than a new 700. Either have it tuned or just replace with a timney. Bell and Carlson makes some cheaper stocks for them, Mcmillan and Manners make some higher end stuff. If you get a good factory barrel i wouldnt hesitate having one fitted in a good stock. Im sure it would shoot just fine. I would get one, put good glass on it, fix the trigger up and shoot it to see how it does. If its a shooter invest some more time and money.

Tubb final finish bore lapping ammo was fired through the turd barrel. The only thing that changed was the ammount of force required to push the cleaning jag through the bore. After the tubbs the bore felt smoother, but still copper fouled bad. Tried some jb paste also. No luck. Oddly enough an old benchrest shooter told me to run carnuba wax on the outside of the bullets. I was skeptical but it did noticably help. I could get closer to 30 rounds without accuracy going away. It is fine for hunting, but I need a shoulder replacement from cleaning. Im just gonna start from scratch with a new tube.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.