Model 7 or 700

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by etisll40, Apr 21, 2013.

1. etisll40

etisll40 Well-Known Member

Thinking about building a short action 243 ai and wondering if I am giving up anything by going with a model 7 versus 700? The model 7 seems to be a good action. Aftermarket stocks and triggers the same? Bolt handle? Maybe a sako extractor job? Can anyone explain the difference? Composite stock.

Thanks,
    Ed

585-943-9412

If you do gun smithing, maybe call me, I need someone to do it.

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

The model 7 is a shorter action Ed, So if your going to the trouble of the AI, I will make the assumption you will be trying to milk it all out of a long VLD bullet? My assumption made you can either get the rem SA and have a wayatts mag box installed with the build and have zero issues with COAL. Or you can get the model 7 and have a standard rem sa mag box modified for it and be right where you would have been with the sa receiver.

3. etisll40

Looks like a rem700 is the way to go. I like the win70 push feeds better. I don't think you can customize the bolt handle on win70's though. Or can you?

4. CA48

CA48 Well-Known Member

How much shorter is the m7 vs m700 and do you know the action weight
    difference?

5. sj-pratt

sj-pratt Official LRH Sponsor

You can't add a Wyatts box on a Model 7 the triggers are different but good ones are available for them. But the Model 7 would make a nice build the 6mm bullets doesn't need the length the 6.5 needs. 243 imp is what I built my kids for coyote hunting 95 gr bergers or 70 gr ballistic tips shot well.

Good Luck with your build.

6. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

No I don't sorry

7. CA48

CA48 Well-Known Member

No prob, just curious as I have been thinking about
    a light weight build here lately.

8. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The Model 7 is a very good action and the difference between the 700 SA and the Model 7
    is the overall length (1/2'' shorter). The trigger is the same and mag length is also the same.

Floor metal and stocks are different. (Shorter, with different spacing on the action screws).

If you can find a Model 7 with a good stock and a standard bolt face you are good to go with just a barrel and trigger change.

I have built many WSMs and SAUMs on the Model 7 and have been very pleased with accuracy
    and compactness.

You will not need an extended mag for ether the 700 or the Mod 7 with the 243 AI.

The 700 SA is also a good choice because stocks, floor metal and scope mounts are easer to find.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

9. etisll40

It does, I'm assuming jewel is drop in replacement JE? That's critical for me.

10. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

The pin spacing is the same on all 700 and mod 7s
    some mod 7s have a short bolt release and if you tell Jewell what you have they will set it up with the proper bolt release and safety.

PS get the one with the safety!!!!!

J E CUSTOM

11. etisll40

Thanks, now the model 7 looks good!