Model 7 guru's

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by lastborn, Jan 20, 2010.

1. lastborn

lastborn Member

Can someone please tell me the correct torque for the action screws for a Remington Model 7?
    Also,should there be a barrel pressure point bedded in a rem.custom shop KS model 7 in 7mm08 with 20"barrel and kevlar stock ?
    Thanks

2. Bulseyetom

Bulseyetom Well-Known Member

No guru here but I do have an early model ks in 7-08 that the groups walked with the bedding point so I removed it and never looked back. That gun shoots under a moa now to the same point of impact as the barrel heats up, which doesn't take long at the bench with the pencil barrel. Tom gun)

3. was21

was21 Well-Known Member

Mine also responded for the better in removing the pressure pad....but I also skim bedded.

As far as action screw torque I don't run them in as hard as a pillar bedded stock.
    Normally I get the best results around 45 in-lbs +-...YMMV... in a plain stock and around 65 in-lbs in a pillar bedded stock.

FWIW...this is what has worked for me in many stocks that I have done.
    hope it helps

wes in AZ

4. bowhunthard

bowhunthard Well-Known Member

It's recommended that you keep non-pillar or aluminum bedded stocks to about 35 - 40 in/lbs. If it's pillar or aluminum bedded you can go up to 65 in/lbs. (which is military/law enforcement specs).

I usually run my wood stocked rifles about 35 in/lbs. This also includes if they're glass bedded.

Good luck.