Model 700 vls

Merlin

I have one of these in .243, and would like to change the recoil pad. Mainly to get a longer length of pull. It seems like it is glued and screwed on, would like to know for sure if it is glued or not before I proceed. It has a really nice stock and don't want to screw it up. Thanks.

I have the 700 LSS in 243...the pad is definatley not glued on, you most likely have a little polyurethane slopped over onto the butt end and the recoil pad was screwed on before the poly cured. Back the screws completely out and give the hard portion of the pad a tap with a hammer, it will break loose. If your rifle has the R3 or supercell pad, you make want to consider a spacer instead of a whole new pad. Brownells and Midwayusa carry a variety of spacers in different thicknesses.

I will give that a try. It's not a R3, it looks like a piece of brown inner tube rubber that they doubled up and ran screws thru it!

In that case ditch the pad....if you go with a grid-to-fit I would give kick eez a try. Not quit limbsaver, but better then pachmayr and they finish up very nice. Just had them put on one rifle and two shotguns and they work well.

Merlin: what were the results? How did this pad come out? What did you end up with? I have an LSS mountain that I would like to replace the stock pad for a supercell. I took out the screws and the pad appears glued.

The pads are glued on. I have dealt with a few of them and ended up using my cutoff saw. Protect the saw and cut close but not on the wood. Then sand flat and you are set to install something else. Make sure the screws are out though.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.