mod 70 rebarrel to .300wm

Winmag- Did the smith that built your wsm did he have to do lot of machining to action to get it to feed correctly? I sent email to a smith and was told there would be some machining involved and was told to stick with Wsm action prob be easier. Just curious. Got couple other emails out but have not heard anything for several weeks may have to resend emails.

Winmag- Did the smith that built your wsm did he have to do lot of machining to action to get it to feed correctly? I sent email to a smith and was told there would be some machining involved and was told to stick with Wsm action prob be easier. Just curious. Got couple other emails out but have not heard anything for several weeks may have to resend emails.

He re-worked the bottom metal, massaged the feed rails, honed the feed ramp, & shortened up the bolt stop.
He was already truing the action, opening, & truing the bolt face, & lapping the lugs, to be true, & centered with the bore. (Quality gun smithing)
Machining seems to be something he does quite well. Aesthetics, not so much.

Typically when a machining thread comes up here on LRH, he gives advise.

Find a smith who is not only willing, but is good at machining would be a very wise move for any build IMO.

The person I sent email to was giving me some advise to make it simple but didn't seem interested in building it. Thanks for the reply.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.