Misaligned Scope mounting holes

After reading your post I went out to the shop and pulled all of my Burris inserts accumulated over a number of years and started checking them with a digital micrometer, and found that out of 8 ea. 30 mm presently on hand, that 7 were OK,
(2ea .05, 2 ea .10) but in checking the 4 zero inserts, found one of them was .05 lower than the others. 1.08 average, and one read out at 1.03 consistent during 3 readings. The additional 2 ea 1" .10 inserts were OK. Don't know if it makes any difference but the bad one was bright and shiny and most of the others had a matte finish. New supplier?

Read them all across the top of the +/- designator stamp. Marked the bad one and will not use it unless impatient to adjust something and out of everything else. I'm sure the Scopes could compensate for the minor error, but might as well do it right.

Had enough frustration with scope mounts.

Thanks for the heads up!

Bruce

Sharp Shooter.gif

After reading your post I went out to the shop and pulled all of my Burris inserts accumulated over a number of years and started checking them with a digital micrometer, and found that out of 8 ea. 30 mm presently on hand, that 7 were OK,
(2ea .05, 2 ea .10) but in checking the 4 zero inserts, found one of them was .05 lower than the others. 1.08 average, and one read out at 1.03 consistent during 3 readings. The additional 2 ea 1" .10 inserts were OK. Don't know if it makes any difference but the bad one was bright and shiny and most of the others had a matte finish. New supplier?

Read them all across the top of the +/- designator stamp. Marked the bad one and will not use it unless impatient to adjust something and out of everything else. I'm sure the Scopes could compensate for the minor error, but might as well do it right.

Had enough frustration with scope mounts.

Thanks for the heads up!

Bruce

View attachment 40349

Glad it helped.

Cheer's

in this case, I don't think that the inserts were the problem since Remington replaced not only the receiver, but the barrel, which surprised me and also test fired it twice. the only thing I can figure is that they replaced the receiver, test fired it, it didn't meet factory spec so then replaced the barrel and refired it.

It doesn't surprise me even a little they changed the barrel. The labor to remove a barrel and install it on another receiver would far outweigh what a barrel costs Remington. It is far cheaper for them to swap out the barreled action with another.

I interpret the X2 test firing as once when it arrived and once before it left. They almost never mount a scope and check accuracy. The barreled action is stuck in a fixture and popped off. If it reaches the target, it passes.

It doesn't surprise me even a little they changed the barrel. The labor to remove a barrel and install it on another receiver would far outweigh what a barrel costs Remington. It is far cheaper for them to swap out the barreled action with another.

I interpret the X2 test firing as once when it arrived and once before it left. They almost never mount a scope and check accuracy. The barreled action is stuck in a fixture and popped off. If it reaches the target, it passes.
+1 even Remingtons' "custom shop" is far from the 'custom' that's expected from an independent gunsmith. They fire nothing for accuracy! Those who expect them to are fooling themselves.

OK,Thanks,

That explains the 2x testing...It just kind of had me puzzled.

Am scheduled for pre-op on November 18th for the first Cataract surgery, so after I get both eyes done, and can see again, will start to break-in and zero. Not simultaneously except as a by-product. Haven't been able to shoot anything except the Win Model 12, 12 Ga. and a scope seems to magnify the hazyness. Only logical I guess.

From past experience, really can't start to get a fine tuned zero until at least a hundred rounds have gone downrange from an essentially new rifle. It may be different with the Remington's, but it can't hurt.

I figured they used a fixture for test firing as they buggered up the checkering on the top of the bolt knob so am going to have the top ground down flat about halfway, polished and then micro jeweled along with the exposed end of the firing pin.The main bolt body may just have the standard 16 x 460 or so jeweling. Haven't decided. Should look pretty nice with the dark matte grey Phosphate or whatever finish.

Anyway, thanks again

Bruce

Sharp Shooter.gif

Shortgrass
Is the above something that you do or would it be just a PIA job? PM me if interested.

Bruce

I guess my post wasn't clear. Factories don't 'test' each rifle they make for accurarcy, many if not most custom gunsmiths do. I don't 'test' rifles other than those I build or barrel (if I have the stock) or am, otherwise, working on. 99.8% of factory built rifles do nothing but disappoint me!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.