Misaligned scope base holes?

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
Have just come across (CHEAP) a Win Model 70 EW in 338WM with one of the four holes out of whack with the rest. Now, it will screw a base down, though you can feel it bind slightly as you snug the screw.

Normally, I would just align everything and drill & tap to 8-32, which I still might do if I get my fixture back I lent out a while back.

My question is, how successful is filling and drilling on a stainless action, as I have never attempted it?

Is the weld/EDM visible after doing so?

Cheers.

morning, drilling SS takes special bits, slow speeds. the bit has
a tendency to walk.. me I would mount the base, rings scope and shoot.
if the rifle shoot good, leave along.
if the rifle will not shoot I would send back to rem. and
explain the problem. let rem. do the corrective repair.
justme gbot tum.

Magnum a Carl Gustaf 8000 22-250 I own has the base holes misaligned to the point I didn't have enough windage adjustment in my scope. I mounted the bases and used Burris Signature Z rings and by using 20 MOA inserts I got it centered. Some SS receivers are incredibly hard and you may need a cobalt drill bit. Then of course you have the issue of trying to tap it.

You can also bed your scope rings, takes all the stress from miss alignment on your scope away and you have 100% contact.

Hi all,
Have just come across (CHEAP) a Win Model 70 EW in 338WM with one of the four holes out of whack with the rest. Now, it will screw a base down, though you can feel it bind slightly as you snug the screw.

Normally, I would just align everything and drill & tap to 8-32, which I still might do if I get my fixture back I lent out a while back.

My question is, how successful is filling and drilling on a stainless action, as I have never attempted it?

Is the weld/EDM visible after doing so?

Cheers.
Are you certain it is the hole in the receiver, or the mount? This can be checked with a scope mount drilling jig, or if you're 'slick' enough, on a vertical mill. For mounting holes in the receiver being 'off' the center line I have used 2 different ways to re-drill and tap. The first way I have used is to go to the vertical mill, make absolutely sure the vise is square, and line-up the receiver using the holes I know are on the center line. I plug the mis-alined hole with a screw and permanent Loc-Tite, cut the head off and dress it down with a mill bastard file and stones. I then plunge cut with a 9/64" center cutting milling cutter and then tap with #8-40. The second method I have used is to use my Forester Drilling jig, plug the offending hole as above, and then re-drill and tap with #6-48. Takes reasonable care and sharp cutting tools. I set the pilot in the jig so it sets down on the receiver for max stability of the drill bit. You can lightly peen the screw in, also. I would only make a repair if the gun is from the "used' rack. A new one, I would send to an authorized repair shop (as you are "Down Under", and shipping back to the US would be costly and a hassle). A stainless receiver should be no harder than a CM receiver. Welding the hole up would be the last resort. I have made the off-center scope mount hole repair many times and never had to weld one up.

morning, correction, send back to an authorized WW
dealer for repair. SS is very hard-hard to work with
when plugging and filling. justme gbot tum

Thanks for all the replies.
Looks like I will just drill and re-tap to 8-40 screws, as I did to most of my stainless or big bores.
Seems far easier.

Shortgrass,
Yes, it is indeed the hole. Ran it over my mill and it is about .011" off the centerline.

Cheers.

Tig weld it shut, set up in mill, drill everything to where you need it.

BTW, stainless 416 in general is not particularly difficult to work with. It requires good sharp tooling with proper cutting angles. Different, not harder

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.