Million dollar idea!!!!

Agree with Coyote Shadow Tracker. These seasons were set for a reason. For hunters that loved a challenge. For handicapped archery hunters, I could see use of a crossbow. As for the souped up muzzleloaders. Put them in regular rifle season. They certainly do not belong in a muzzle loading season.

I read a report on a new muzzleloader made by Bergara that is accurate out to 400 yards, I don't shoot them but that is impressive advancement to me.

Why are so many hunters trying to make a Black Powder Muzzle Loader, Flint Lock or Cap & Ball that is still classified as a "PRIMITIVE WEAPON" for most areas and seasons to hunt into a modern cartridge rifle?. That's way it is "PRIMITIVE WEAPON" not a barrel loaded with smokeless powder cartridges then having a separate primer.
If you are going to hunt with a "Muzzle Loader" why not hunt with one. Why try to make the pre loaded cartridges and 209 primers loaded into a rifle that shoots just like a modern rifle. Seems like these hunters are missing the point of "PRIMITIVE WEAPON".
Now there are "In Line Muzzle loaders and newer ones with the cartridge made with the bullet and powder, but no primer. On top of that they are making "PRIMITIVE WEAPON" with "Smokeless Powder".
I just can't see going to hunt in a regulated Season for "PRIMITIVE WEAPON" and using the same thing as a modern rifle. When I hunted in PA during Muzzle Loader I used a Hawkins .50ca Flint Lock. Later on in GA I upgraded to a Thompson Center .50 Inline with a 209 primer and Hodgon 50gr Black Powder Pellets. I always thought that I was cheating using the rifle even with Iron Sights. Then GA law changed to using Optics - SCOPES. A deer or another animal had now chance with me behind my Thompson Center Thumb Hole stock with a 3X9 Nikon Scope loaded with 3-50gr pellets of Hodgon Black powder and a 250 gr 40cal Hornady SST sabot bullet. I shot touching holes at 100yrds. Might as well hunt with my .243, .260, 7mm08, 32 special, .325 WSM. You only really need ONE shot to take you animal!

I just think that if you are hunting "PRIMITIVE WEAPON" - Hunt that way. Don't make your rifle into the same as a modern cartridge rifle. Just a hunters Opinion.
I tell my customers this........a modern inline muzzleloader is better in every way to a traditional caplock or flintlock rifle. If you want a better TOOL to HARVEST a deer, they can't be beat. Notice I emphasize two words.

However, if you want the challenge, I find the traditional guns much more fun. It is individual needs and/or preferences.

Good thread. I've hunted off and on with a muzzleloader for 46 years. Bought an old Knight MK-85 about 10 years ago. It's a really good hunting rifle. With a confident range of 200 yards with a rangefinder, 100 without, it is sufficient to kill almost every elk I've ever shot. Last year I got all excited about the CVA Paramount. Suddenly 300+ yard shots with an open sighted muzzleloader are a reality. Like hunting with a modern rifle but during the rut here in Colorado. Found one, but didn't buy it after all. After more contemplation I'm wanting to build a .54 caliber patched ball replica of Jim Bridger's Hawken rifle. I used to hunt with a TC .50 cal Hawken with good success and now want to hunt with the most authentic percussion I have seen. Maybe even a flintlock! It's still plenty adequate for the hunting I do… sneaking around in the woods and really Hunting. Many different paths up the mountain, but for me I want the experience of the original.

I still prefer hunting with my TC Hawken .54 and yes I bought it in the early 90's after seeing the movie many years earlier and had an itch for one ever since. It shoots patch round ball OK but really shoots TC Great Plains 435 gr conical extremely well! I put peep globe sights on it and made huge difference for me in accuracy.
IMG_2763.JPG

I still prefer hunting with my TC Hawken .54 and yes I bought it in the early 90's after seeing the movie many years earlier and had an itch for one ever since. It shoots patch round ball OK but really shoots TC Great Plains 435 gr conical extremely well! I put peep globe sights on it and made huge difference for me in accuracy.
View attachment 291043
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought my .50 Hawkins Flint Lok in 1974. I regret selling it till today.

Jeff Hankins of Hankins Custom Rifles has been making these using Brux barrels for Remington and Savage actions for a while now. He even had a video out on YouTube showing how to headspace them to the action.
Sounds cool! I'll check it out.

No primative season here.

I don't own any weapons either. If I done something harm with a screwdriver or a hammer it might be siezed as a weapon O guess.

But blackpowder could be fun just for the sake of trying

No primative season here.

I don't own any weapons either. If I done something harm with a screwdriver or a hammer it might be siezed as a weapon O guess.

But blackpowder could be fun just for the sake of trying
You need to move to the Land Of the Free USA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although everything is changing here to mirror a country like you live in. It's sad!

You need to move to the Land Of the Free USA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Although everything is changing here to mirror a country like you live in. It's sad!
Hah, political lies,
When they said they don't "want to go down the American line,"
Apparently, the US citizens just have this Crazy gun culture. Yeah , so you have semi autos and suppressors.

Otherwise what I'm reading here and elsewhere is that hunting opportunity is not so free.. tags, fees etc.

Recent Posts