Headspace Guage Idea

aroshtr

I am not a gunsmith, and have only chambered up two savages at home with go gauges and tape added for a no-go gauge. So this may be totally irrelivant, but it came to me in my sleep last night. So here goes.

Wouldn't it be possible to make a "headspace Gauge kit" that had a threaded body that would allow different bases to be screwed on, and allow different angled shoulders that could be screwed on and set in place with set screws. It would allow gunsmiths to adjust and make changes when developing wildcats and allow a single kit to cover a large number of standard cases. I can't imagine there would be more than a half a dozen bases... And a few shoulders of factory angles, and wildcats like 35deg, and 40deg shoulders in a couple different diameters would also cover a lot of different cartridges. You would have to set the measurements with a shoulder bushing, and have a fairly large data sheet with clear instructions as well. Even with that I would think a company like PTG could charge a few hundred dollars, and they would sell pretty well.

I guess the risk of end users making mistakes in measurements and improper use could make the liability too great.

Just an idea, and thought I would share. Again I have VERY LIMITED knowledge in this area, and could be missing some very big points too. Let me know what you guys think!

Aroshtr

Last edited:
Neat idea.

Here's why it's potentially dangerous.

You have blasted a door off its hinges in terms of liability. Say I built/had built/bought what you are describing.

Now I have to calibrate the gauge before using it. I have to be sure that it doesn't move during the duration of the entire chambering job.

If I'm wrong because I measured incorrectly, set it up wrong, or any number of possibilities and you shoot your gun, it can result in parts of your anatomy now being picked over by the buzzards when/if the case sneezes in the chamber. That may very well erode into a casket for you and a colorful courtroom experience for me.

This trade is hard enough to survive in.

A one piece gauge machined/hardened/ground from qualified prints by qualified tool/gauge makers takes the guess work out. Well worth the $30 bucks IMO.

Pacific Tool and Gauge makes some of the best stuff around just for this reason.

Good luck.

C

Your a day late and a dollar short.

PT&G use to make and sell a UNI gauge.

The back was like any other gauge.

The front was a ball with a 40 tpi screw inserted.

It worked on any chamber size and was adjustable to within .0005.

If you called PT&G Dave Kiff might could find you one.

Nat Lambeth

Neat idea.

Here's why it's potentially dangerous.

You have blasted a door off its hinges in terms of liability. Say I built/had built/bought what you are describing.

Now I have to calibrate the gauge before using it. I have to be sure that it doesn't move during the duration of the entire chambering job.

If I'm wrong because I measured incorrectly, set it up wrong, or any number of possibilities and you shoot your gun, it can result in parts of your anatomy now being picked over by the buzzards when/if the case sneezes in the chamber. That may very well erode into a casket for you and a colorful courtroom experience for me.

This trade is hard enough to survive in.

A one piece gauge machined/hardened/ground from qualified prints by qualified tool/gauge makers takes the guess work out. Well worth the $30 bucks IMO.

Pacific Tool and Gauge makes some of the best stuff around just for this reason.

Good luck.

C
A++++++++++++ to Chads' post! When I'm cutting a chamber I want two gauges with me , the GO and the NO-GO for the caliber, that's all. It would take time to switch your 'adjustable' gauges, time I don't feel I have. In short, Time Constraints! And, you'd have to work at it to screw up with a fixed set of gauges.

It is nice to know someone at least tried it. Since it is not for sale anymore, I would guess that the functionality, and safety of the gizmo just wasn't all there... I can easily see the risk and liability that would come with such a device too. Thanks for the replies guys!

Aroshtr

The whole reason for "steel Gauges" is they are fool proof. Even a monkey can headspace with a go and No go gauge.

I don't want to start a ****ing contest. But I will say what you read on the internet can get you into trouble.

I have no problem with the gun owner doing his own work. I do have a problem with someone giving someone else advice or doing their work without a licenese (FFL), liability Insurance, and/or the correct know how and skills.

There are some very skilled individuals on this web site and others. We all can learn from each other. But there are some very opinionated and reckless individuals out their also. I just want people to keep it safe.

Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.