Millennium Chronograph Versus Pact MK IV Timer & Chronograph

Eaglet

Gentlemen:
I own a (Pact "chronograph and timer") and a CED Millennium chronograph. Informally I placed one next to the other and shot 8 rounds through both from a .22 caliber hand gun and 4 rounds from my 300 RUM. After averaging and converting to muzzle velocities taking in consideration the weather conditions and different chronographs distances, I got the following results:

Are the differences between broth chronographs acceptable?
How would I know which one is measuring more accurately?

oq8tb4.jpg

opzp6g.jpg

oq8x0n.jpg
oq8x6q.jpg

Both chronographs have sensors 2' apart, 24"

Eaglet--------

In my humble opinion, the differance is so slight that it doesn't matter much in real life.

I have a CED Millenium, and have done the same thing you did against an Ohler 35P I borrowed, and they showed virtually no differance either. Which leads me to conclude that the CED is good enough for most people most of the time IMO.

Ps. I do wish in retrospect that the CED could make printouts...

No offense, but I can't believe you are asking the question? What possible difference would twelve feet per second make? You get a real life number that is better than an estimate published in a reloading manual, so either would be acceptable, in my opinion. Very acceptable.

Good hunting. LB

LB,
It isn't all that bad, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif atleast I'm making a believer out of you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks for your reply, I agree with you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ErikD,
Thanks. I agree, I just wanted to see if it'd be an issue with the extreme long range shooters.

I have the CED Mk1 chronograph and in general pretty happy with it and its ease of use. I have compared it with a friends Chrony (cause how does one really know that it is calibrated correctly???) and surprisingly the Chrony reads so close to the CED as to be identical, but the Chrony is much more critical of where the bullets passes over the skyscreen.

However, I do have 1 problem with the CED and was wondering if anyone has experienced the same or has some solutions. If on a hot clear day after a period of time my CED gets what can only be termed as "sunstroke". It will take readings from shots fired 2 to 4 lanes away. Usually really low readings like 1240fps for rifles anything from a .223 to a 300 Mag. When I put my own shot through and it may be a 30-06 say, it will similarly give a low reading in the 1 thousand fps. Now why I diagnosed it as "sunstroke" I found out that if I take the screens in to a covered area out of the sun for say 30mins & then put it out again, it will read as normal again.

Have spoken to the local distributor in Australia and even considered a switch to the Mk2 version and was told the new one was susceptible to the same thing maybe more so as the sensors were supposed to be better and therefore more sensitive.

Regards,
JohnT
Sydney, Australia

Do you have the lighted sky screen? I have had no problems with any light condition when I have the lighted sky screen hooked up, but have had some reading problems when I don't.

I have the standard skyscreen that comes with the CED Mk1 chronograph that works on sunlight. I don't have the infra red screens. Don't know what you mean by lighted screens.

regards
JohnT

That's what I meant the infrared screens they work very good!!! Sunlight or no sun at all I always get a reading with them on.

I dont think the difference of 12fps would matter at all. I also havent had any problems with the screens stroking out per se, but I havent had this chrono very long. If it does I think switching to the infra red screens would be the best option and probably worth doing anyway.gun)

That's what I meant the infrared screens they work very good!!! Sunlight or no sun at all I always get a reading with them on.

I"m glad I bumped into this thread. My CED doesn't read about half the time, I was thinking about trying the infrared screens to see if that helped. No I'm sure I'll try it.
Thanks,
Robbin

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.