LabRadar Chronograph Review

Gary,
I didn't test the SuperChrono. Bryan Litz tested it against a minimum of two additional chronographs, one being the Oehler 35P. You'll be able to find his report in a Thread posted on this Forum. The SuperChrono was obviously performing very poorly.

FYI, the SuperChrono is a different unit and manufacturer than the LabRadar unit. Bryan Litz also tested the LabRadar against his other equipment. He had some problems receiving velocities for the smaller caliber bullets. But he was generally impressed with the data he obtained with the .308 caliber bullets. That Thread can also be found using the Search tool.

As for my own use, I agree it's best to have more than a single velocity recorded for each bullet fired, in order to be able to identify bad velocity data. So I shoot over a triplicate chronograph setup that provides 4 recorded velocities for each bullet fired. I'm the one with the Oehler 33, Oehler 35P, and PACT PC2 setup, all recording the velocity of each bullet fired over my 6' plus long skyscreen rail. I have no problem identifying the chronograph that pukes out an incorrect bullet velocity.

yes I well remember the tests that you did several years back. Your results were pretty close to what I found. Still in the back of my head I get this nagging complaint about it. Was the Ohler (s) reading correct? Hell I don't know, but think they were pretty close. Good enough for 99% of us. The Pact ran parallel with the Ohler if memory is right, but was five to eight feet per second different. No complaint with any of the readings here.

I must applaud your work, as most of us would just whine and cry. I think I told you about building a new mount for the Ohler, and the operating window seriously tightened up (say +/- 8fps to about three or four fps). Definitely made the Ohler better! This is the one thing for sure that I like about the LabRadar. An excellent mount. The only thing close to these that I've seen is the Kurzzel (spelled something like that anyway) at about $800.

Now to figure out a constant to measure accuracy from, plus still being fast enough to get a reading. 200 fps is about as low of a reading as I've ever seen, but will it go lower?
gary

I am not smart enough to find Brian Litz test of the LabRadar.
Please give us a link.

Also I received my LabRadar unit about 6 weeks ago. Made one trip to the range with it. I had issues with the unit picking up sound of shots from other shooters. The unit would report not being able to trace the bullet and require a reset to re arm.

This can be fixed by lowering the sensitivity of the unit by raising the sensitivity number (counter intuitive but thats the way it is). Another fix is to set it for doppler trigger and the bullet entering the beam triggers the unit.

I also was able to update the firmware last night. Really quite easy, download the file unzip and copy the two files to the SD card for the Labradar unit. I chose to stick the SD card in the slot on my laptop copy files to it then insert back in the Labradar unit and turn it on. Presto changeo the new firmware is installed and the files deleted from the SD card just like the manual says.

Having no other chronograph cannot compare results.

I should be able to determine if the results are reasonable shooting at 100 then 3 or 4 hundred comparing MOA needed to hit bulls eye vs Balistic Calculator prediction

I bought the bench plate, as I couldn't get my tripod close enough to muzzle to register (wide bench) and thought it would solve my problem and be handy for prone shooting. When I took it out of the box, the ball-head was so tight, I stripped the threads on the adjustment knob trying to loosen it. Never did get it loose and Len doesn't have parts. Sooooo! I drove 20 miles to BestBuy and found the exact part for $4.99. I opted to spend the extra money for an all metal Slik head w/ quick change plate option, rather than trust $600 to the 2# rated head. I haven't heard anyone else having this problem, guess it was my lucky day.

I bought the bench plate, as I couldn't get my tripod close enough to muzzle to register (wide bench) and thought it would solve my problem and be handy for prone shooting. When I took it out of the box, the ball-head was so tight, I stripped the threads on the adjustment knob trying to loosen it. Never did get it loose and Len doesn't have parts. Sooooo! I drove 20 miles to BestBuy and found the exact part for $4.99. I opted to spend the extra money for an all metal Slik head w/ quick change plate option, rather than trust $600 to the 2# rated head. I haven't heard anyone else having this problem, guess it was my lucky day.

I have had my Lab Radar about two months maybe and used it half dozen times. The unit works fine but as you experienced my base plate head which worked great the first few times now the lever to tighten has stripped out.
Sent a message to Lab Radar about a solution we will see.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.