Might join the PRS / NRL22 group. Need help

All I can say..
Is GOD hates a coward! Go for it...you have little to loose and much to gain!...,... Like when you head back home all pumped up and tell the wife about the NEW GUN YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE TO BE EVEN REMOTELY COMPETITIVE!
P.S. .....and the dies, casings, new powder....best to give it to her....all at once!

All I can say..
Is GOD hates a coward! Go for it...you have little to loose and much to gain!...,... Like when you head back home all pumped up and tell the wife about the NEW GUN YOU JUST HAVE TO HAVE TO BE EVEN REMOTELY COMPETITIVE!
P.S. .....and the dies, casings, new powder....best to give it to her....all at once!
I have the hardest time getting new people to ACTUALLY come to a match. The guy who can kill gophers at 100 yds with open sights never shows up.

That can happen especially with new shooters who are powered up too high on their scope and lose FOV. Dialing down power, as you don't need to be on max, and using reference points on the range help this not happen as often. Also looking over the elevation turret at the target and then dropping on the scope helps get you on target also especially after changing positions.
These are the most important basics that will really hold you back if you don't follow them. Don't shoot on too high of power. Probably around 15x or less until you get better. Find the target and landmarks for the target with your naked eye. Look over your turret and drop into your scope to find the target faster.

Lots of good advice so far. Biggest 3 tips I can give you are:
1-Just get out there and do it! You don't need a fancy rifle. I waited way too long to get into PRS thinking I had to have the latest and greatest or the right cartridge, blah, blah, blah. I used an old Rem 700 varmint in .308 win in a Bravo stock with a Strike Eagle scope for years. I think I had less than $1500 in the whole setup.
2-Don't buy a lot of fancy gear just starting out. The PRS group is VERY friendly and other shooters will help you along, let you borrow equipment to try out, etc. If you watch a YT video and think you need the same bag as them, you will probably waste your money. Try out as much stuff as you can before you buy it so you don't have a closet full of stuff that you don't use like me. With all of that said, I don't think you can go wrong with a schmedium game changer bag with heavy fill. The majority of guys I shoot with use one.
3-Safety! Always have your bolt open when moving positions. That will get you a fast DQ.

You really only need a rifle, FFP scope with a good reticle (I would do MILs since every other shooter uses that and it makes it easier to adjust when they call your shots), a bipod (Harris is fine), a couple of mags, ballistic app and a way to attach a DOPE card to your rifle. The PRS community is great and just about every person I have shot with has been very helpful and nice. It's been a lot of fun and has made me a better shooter. Feels good when you are ringing steel from 200 to 1000+ yards in a match.

I have the hardest time getting new people to ACTUALLY come to a match. The guy who can kill gophers at 100 yds with open sights never shows up.
Invite them to just come and WATCH....let them decide after that.... anything new....can be very intimidating..... especially if one is performing in front of an audience with seasoned competition

Sign up and show up with an open mind. Let them know you're keen to learn. Having your friend there for support is a bonus. Enjoy the experience and soak up as much knowledge as you can from the pros.

I shoot both. Poorly, but I do shoot both. Its been 8 months since I shot an NRL22 match. A few more PRS matches and some shooting schools I'm taking and I'll aspire to be a mid-pack shooter haha.

They are all a lot of fun. Its nice to get out and burn some powder. It also helps us with product development. My shooting buddies consist of 2 engineers, and a gunsmith so needless to say we talk a lot about gear and what new offerings SRS can do for shooting sports.

Its pretty cheap to get into if you were to go with a .223 for PRS. The tactical division here in the Northwest usually has 1 or 2 people at a match.

I think I enjoy NRL hunter more, but its a love hate relationship. I hate it when I'm shooting a match, then afterwards I' very happy with how much I've learned and am improving.

Ken

Everyone there that knows, and shoots will help you along the way. The only time you'll have trouble is if you don't do your homework, and have good dope.
Make sure you have good dope for your rifle.
You don't have to have all the equipment. Anyone there will let you use their support bags, to try them out and see what works best for you.
Watch the better shooters, and learn from them.
I would recommend going to a one day regional Match first, instead of a 2 day national shoot. They are more laid back, and sometimes they'll have a little easier cof.

So just sign up. My friend is shooting production class and I would have to be open class with my rifle.
Are you sure I won't mess things up for others? Especially not knowing what to do? I guess I just get embarrassed being with other people who have done this before.

Ok what is a PRS Member NUMBER

It's asking on sign up
L help you along the way.

Since you said you were limited at your home to 100 yards, NRL22 has option 1 (all within 100 yards) and option 2 (out to 200 yards) available within each months Course of Fire (COF). Check with the match Director to determine which or combination they use. Attend a match or 2 before contemplating purchase of equipment. Plan equipment purchases well, like just because you only have a 100 yard range, doesnt mean you should have your equipment limited. For example, I run in my 22LR setup 40 to 50 moa rail and FFP scope that can dial to 30 mils without hold over and still have zero at 25 & 50 yards. Thus I can shoot a PRS22 or NRL22X out to 500 yards. (Accounts for the drop somewhere in vicinity of 525 inches without accounting for conditions:at 500 yards)
Most of the folks I shoot with debate heavily over CZ457, Tikka, Bergara on the medium (tongue in cheek) side and RimX and Vudoo on the higher side. All invest strongly in FFP scopes. Contested heavily are Bushnell, Vortex, etc.. heavily MRAD/Mil (but MOA works of course).
Finding the ammo your 22LR likes is another issue (reloading rimfire is dicey and not cost or as accuracy effective in most cases) if lucky you may find 8 bucks a box SK or 15 a box CenterX is liked.
But it's fun. And another rabbit hole!!!