need help on the leica 1600b

The only way that reading would be an accurate distance to plug in to your ballistic app is if absolute pressure was 29.92 and the temp was 68`F.

Let's look at it this way (I'm just guessing at the numbers to get my point across)

You're out hunting elk and you're at 8700 ft elevation. It's opening morning and you range a nice bull on the far side of a canyon up on a tall ridge and you've got your 1600b configured just like you've got it now. The reading says 798 yards and then flashes EFr distance of 712 yards.

You take 712 yards plug it into your shooter app and you also input 21.8 inHg for the absolute pressure and 27`F for the temperature.

You are going to miss that elk.

The reason is that the 1600b has already accounted for the 21.8 inHg pressure difference (compared to the pre-set 29.92 inHg) and the 41 degree temp difference from the pre-set curve (68`F - 27`F =41`F) in order to calculate the 712 yard EFr. So you are double-counting the pressure and temp difference. The leica does it once and you do it again in your shooter app.

Does that make sense? Even though you don't care about the pre-set trajectory, the 1600b uses whatever pre-set curve you've got plugged in to generate the EHr distance it displays.

sorry i know what i write can be confusing but what I'm trying to say that even when u put info into the 1600b for the ball curves and when u get the two readings the second reading is the same as another rangefinder that just has angle comp?

NO! It is NOT the same as other rangefinders!

Other rangefinders simply use angle.

The Leica 1600b uses angle PLUS temp and pressure differences compared to the pre-set trajectory you've set in the Ball function.

Please understand this .... if you do not understand this you will either miss your next long range shot at an elk or badly wound it.

Thanks for explaining it 100 times to me. It makes total sense now. Why would they wast there time with these functions since they are going to be off anyways and just somewhat close. I sold my 1600 so i could get the 1600b and spent more money and it does me no better than what i had before. i can't remember did the 1600 have pressure and temp in it also? i know it had angle degree. So with this one I'm just going to have to get the angle degree and put it into my app and then have it calculated. I don't think there is a rangefinder out there that will accurately range an animal with angle comp out to a 1000 besides the G7. Now I'm deciding if i should send it back.

Ya I really think it's bad that Leica set it up like this.

When you push the second button it displays angle, temperature and pressure.

I only use the Leica for distance. It is excellent at ranging out to about a mile. Sometimes I will use the angle reading.

I keep the rangefinder inside my coat pocket to keep it warm so the optics do not get fogged up or wet from rain.

I use my kestrel for accurate temperature and pressure. The pressure reading from my Leica is always very close to my kestrel so nothing wrong with using pressure from your Leica to input into your shooter app.

But I still wish I had the money for a G7 BR2.

The only way that reading would be an accurate distance to plug in to your ballistic app is if absolute pressure was 29.92 and the temp was 68`F.

Let's look at it this way (I'm just guessing at the numbers to get my point across)

You're out hunting elk and you're at 8700 ft elevation. It's opening morning and you range a nice bull on the far side of a canyon up on a tall ridge and you've got your 1600b configured just like you've got it now. The reading says 798 yards and then flashes EFr distance of 712 yards.

You take 712 yards plug it into your shooter app and you also input 21.8 inHg for the absolute pressure and 27`F for the temperature.

The reason is that the 1600b has already accounted for the 21.8 inHg pressure difference (compared to the pre-set 29.92 inHg) and the 41 degree temp difference from the pre-set curve (68`F - 27`F =41`F) in order to calculate the 712 yard EFr. So you are double-counting the pressure and temp difference. The leica does it once and you do it again in your shooter app.

Does that make sense? Even though you don't care about the pre-set trajectory, the 1600b uses whatever pre-set curve you've got plugged in to generate the EHr distance it displays.

Timber is right I think with his post above.

It drove me nuts as to why I had to enter one of the ballistic setups to get the corrected yardage. Getting the corrected yardage number (EHR) is just a simple math thing if the angle is known. When thinking about it I concluded it was using the chosen ballistic data for something more in its calculations so I started checking the corrected yardage data and found it was not correct.

I run Auto Cad for design work and started taking distant targets getting the line of sight yardage and the angle then would run those numbers in Auto Cad and get the corrected yardage number (EHR). I started comparing the real numbers from Auto Cad against what the 1600B was spitting out and found the range finders corrected yardage was incorrect every time using any of the ballistic settings. As to why I'm not sure and I think Timber is on to it so do not use the corrected yardage in this range finder. I have compared the 1600B line of sight yardage against two other range finders and they are very close or the same

I range the target get the angle pressure and temp and enter those into Shooter. Works for me.

Good info guys. I can't believe that with all the new tech out there they do such a stupid thing for a rangefinder, so when shooting at longer ranges you need to be very accurate with the input info and they go ahead and put in a half *** program into a quality rangefinder. So many people want a rangefinder like this with angle comp and i can't believe they don't have it right yet.

got another question after playing with the 1600b and the shooter app. so if i look at my shooter app it has a look angle button on it and when u hit it, it will display a degree on it and when i placed the 1600b next to it, it not even close the range finder will say like 17deg and the iPhone will show 70deg. so how do i put it into the shooter app when i go off my rangefinder? what am i missing here.

Zero is level so you can figure which one is in error quite quickly. Probably the phone though I have found the iPhone pretty accurate. I would trust the 1600B before the phone.

i got it figured out, stupid me, i had my phone up and down like i was going to take a pic, thats why it was way off. thanks again for all your help guys.

I know Im digging up an old one, but its been a huge help for me. Im looking into buying a Leica 1600B for my new Sako 85 7mm rem mag. So you clearly got your point across to me about accounting for temperature and pressure twice... so would I basically be buying this rangefinder for just getting distances? Whats an easy way to get the angle to plug into the Shooter app? And lastly, is there a setup where you can have the Leica 1600B display the angle, temperature, bp and distance all separately??

I use my Silva Ranger compass to get the angle. It has degree marks and pointer on the face. Just set it on your scope turret. Read the angle and enter it.

From Leica Instructions on 1600b which you can download from the Leica site.

To accurately calculate the impact point (see following

section), the Leica Rangemaster CRF 1600-B also

determines three crucial pieces of additional information

when measuring the range: the inclination of the unit,

the temperature and the atmospheric pressure. You can

display the relevant values at any time.

Press the secondary button (1) briefly once.

• The reticule appears briefly (if range measurement was

not previously activated) and then the following items

appear in succession for around 2s each instead of the

range:

--Angle of inclination

--Temperature

--Atmospheric pressure

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.