Midsouth Powder Shipments

Delivery problems are the driver or the shipper that chooses direct signature required. Not Corporate Policy. ( UPS or Fedex ).I have been doing business with Davidsons in Az for 30 some years and they are one of the largest firearm wholesalers in the US. Definitely the largest Ruger supplier in the world and all they use is FEDEX. I have had no problems with Fedex in my 30 plus years. The CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) has used Fedex since their existence began in the 1990's. Again no problems with over 300,000 firearms delivered. Take it up with the driver.

I won't select FedEx for delivery for powder anymore. I've had several instances where I've had to go to the shipping facility itself 3 towns over and pick it up. Why the hell they insist on delivering residential packages that require a signature in the middle of the day is beyond me. I'm always home when UPS delivers because they are smart enough to save those for the end of the day

I bought a Lyman Trade Rifle from Midsouth last month. Then I bought a coupla pounds of 2F from Powder Valley about the same time. Both took a few days longer then normal, but I just add it up to the ways of the times. As my buddies said one time, things are slow all over.

When Fed Ex is delivering something to me with signature required like powder, etc. I leave a note on the door with my number to call me and I will meet him or him me. He has always calls me and brings to my work place. Pretty nice of him.

I'll add another summary. A few years ago (maybe 3 or 4), I ordered from Midsouth. It was to be delivered by UPS. I was notified of the delivery, went to the front porch to grab it, and it wasn't there. I called UPS and they contacted the driver. He said he placed it on the front porch. My address is 6338 and the driver delivered to 6238. The people that live there are total slobs and thieves. I called Midsouth and told the guy that answered the phone what had happened. I also mentioned the chances of retrieving the package were nonexistent, knowing the people that live there.

The Midsouth Rep told me he would get another order out before the end of that day. I received that package in three days.

The Midsouth rep also said he would file a claim with UPS since it was their screw up.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a long time.

Here's a quick rundown of how FedEx Ground actually operates. The process for FedEx Express is slightly different, but the same rules apply.

The shipper decides which signature service is assigned to the package. This isn't decided by FedEx other than where mandated by law (alcohol, hazmat). These are the options:

- No signature service requested. This means that residential packages can be left with no signature at the driver's discretion. Business and commercial locations (anywhere with posted hours of operation) will require a signature regardless of designation by the shipper.

- Indirect signature service requested. This means that the driver must collect a signature via an approved release form (signed door tag or printed signature release authorization form), in person from the actual recipient, or obtain a signature from a neighbor. It can also be rerouted to a hold location.

- Direct signature required. A signature must be obtained by someone at the exact physical location the package is shipped to. No release forms, no notes, no door tags, no neighbors. It can be rerouted to a hold location.

- Adult Signature required. A signature must be obtained by someone over the age of 21 at the exact physical location the package is shipped to. No release forms, no notes, no door tags, no neighbors. Some packages can be rerouted, but not hazmats (powder/primers).

Any deviation from those standards is a driver level decision. That may be a judgment call in the form of not leaving a package when no signature is required, or a violation of the established procedures in the case of leaving a package without the required signature.

There is no anti-gun conspiracy in the shipping industry no matter how many times an uninformed internet expert proclaims it to be true.

In case someone would like to question anything I've said, I'll point out that I was a contractor for FedEx Ground for 18 years and I still work as a consultant for current contractors by providing operational training on issues like signature compliance and safety.
Your explanation and facts are most likely true , and thank you,
It's not your fault in operational training , that it is difficult to train someone to ( care ) , And teach to keep 100 % of their feelings out of every decision.

Last edited:
@coueskiller43 Well, did you get your powder today?
I ended up getting it today. I couldn't get away from work yesterday. I tried putting $20 and a note on my front door to bribe the driver… No dice. I called and asked them to redeliver today. That didn't happen. Luckily they held it at a Wharehouse about 30 minutes from me.

Last edited:
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in a long time.

Here's a quick rundown of how FedEx Ground actually operates. The process for FedEx Express is slightly different, but the same rules apply.

The shipper decides which signature service is assigned to the package. This isn't decided by FedEx other than where mandated by law (alcohol, hazmat). These are the options:

- No signature service requested. This means that residential packages can be left with no signature at the driver's discretion. Business and commercial locations (anywhere with posted hours of operation) will require a signature regardless of designation by the shipper.

- Indirect signature service requested. This means that the driver must collect a signature via an approved release form (signed door tag or printed signature release authorization form), in person from the actual recipient, or obtain a signature from a neighbor. It can also be rerouted to a hold location.

- Direct signature required. A signature must be obtained by someone at the exact physical location the package is shipped to. No release forms, no notes, no door tags, no neighbors. It can be rerouted to a hold location.

- Adult Signature required. A signature must be obtained by someone over the age of 21 at the exact physical location the package is shipped to. No release forms, no notes, no door tags, no neighbors. Some packages can be rerouted, but not hazmats (powder/primers).

Any deviation from those standards is a driver level decision. That may be a judgment call in the form of not leaving a package when no signature is required, or a violation of the established procedures in the case of leaving a package without the required signature.

There is no anti-gun conspiracy in the shipping industry no matter how many times an uninformed internet expert proclaims it to be true.

In case someone would like to question anything I've said, I'll point out that I was a contractor for FedEx Ground for 18 years and I still work as a consultant for current contractors by providing operational training on issues like signature compliance and safety.
Thanks for that long and detailed reply.
While that may be protocol, it's not a reality.
An Army unit found these boxes of M4s sitting out front.View attachment 352903

Not long ago, FedEx left a fairly expensive rifle on my front steps (back from the smith). I couldn't believe what I was seeing when I drove up. 😡
Similar story here with FedEx. Ordered a rifle scope, (not a cheap one either). Left one morning to find it hanging on a tree limb at the end of my driveway!?🤬
One word for FedEx delivery in my area is sucks! I raised cane about it so now if they deliver anything it is left at our local Walgreen now. If it costs more use UPS in my area. It's brought to your door. Not left in a tree for a thug or sleazy neighbor to steal.

Fed ex pays delivery drivers 15 an hour now as it was less. UPS pays same experience 27hr plus quality insurance, leave time, retirement, def comp etc etc. UPS charges less or the same to ship. How can that be?

FedEx here is horrible and I've had a number of claims with them too. UPS is great. I have a customer that is 12 miles away, who lives in another state and only comes out on the weekends. The UPS driver delivers to his place too. I saw the driver there one day and the driver asked my customer (they were out during the week once) if they minded if he dropped the package off at my place. Since I have a key and the alarm code to their place I can put the packages inside when I'm there. The customer said no problem, so that made things easier for both of us.

Could you call Fed Ex and have them hold the package at the hub, you go there to sign for it? Same thing here, some signature required and with the inconsistency of FedEx actually showing up on a certain day I can't sit at home and wait for them to NOT show up.

USPS isn't so great either, I've had checks just not show up that I know were mailed.
Yep and the UPS driver got two stops in one to shorten his day, safer delivery, and flat out customer service! UPS loves the schools hospitals and gov buildings in our area. They hit all kinds of deliveries at one stop and the customers love it. That is customer service the old fashioned way.

I have set up with a different shipping address for a very long time. I have an apartment in Montana, and a son that lives in that state. 1. No Sale Tax. So I have it shipped to either his office or his home. I do hate that having someone sign. It's a pain for them too. Brownell has a one time feed for about $50.00 per year for shipping. It doesn't include Hazmat fees. It does save on shipping if you are ordering several times a year. In Mexico-North the sale tax is about 9%. Mex-N your can't receive ammo without it going to a FFL shop first. I use to have it sent here in Mex-N, but they stopped that from happening, and if your billing address is here also, and the shipping is in another state that allow to received direct shipping. They wouldn't ship it either. So I switch my address to Montana. The bank is in Mex-N, but doesn't matter if your address is in another state. I also ran into this with Montana Fish & Game, because of my billing address was in a different state. So I use my Montana credit card with the Montana address. That ended that.
I just want to be clear before forming a belief. Do you buy a resident Montana Hunting/fishing license?