Michigan straight wall cartridge

I actually hunt with a Marlin 38-55. Straight wall, does great with cast bullets or Barnes Original in the plus size (.377 instead of .375). A .375 Winchester cartridge is nothing but a modernized and standardized 38-55. You might be able to find a Marlin or Winchester lever gun chambered in .375 Winchester. A handi-rifle might be had in either or these calibers.
To me, 38-55 is very accurate, hard hitting, and MUCH kinder than a 45-70. I bought a Marlin 336 in 38-55 to allow me to stand down my Marlin 1893 in the same caliber. I can load more modern pressures with the 336 version than the 1893 (it was pre Modern Steel),

Just my 2 cents. rch

I actually hunt with a Marlin 38-55. Straight wall, does great with cast bullets or Barnes Original in the plus size (.377 instead of .375). A .375 Winchester cartridge is nothing but a modernized and standardized 38-55. You might be able to find a Marlin or Winchester lever gun chambered in .375 Winchester. A handi-rifle might be had in either or these calibers.
To me, 38-55 is very accurate, hard hitting, and MUCH kinder than a 45-70. I bought a Marlin 336 in 38-55 to allow me to stand down my Marlin 1893 in the same caliber. I can load more modern pressures with the 336 version than the 1893 (it was pre Modern Steel),

Just my 2 cents. rch

I'm not super familiar with the cartridge, but I believe a Marlin 38-55 is over the 1.8 inch max case length law in MI/IN/OH?

Just a thought here but the .45lc can be loaded to give similar performance to the .44mag, just a bit slower and lever guns chambered in .45LC are definitely still out there to be had.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=.45+LC+rifle

I've killed quite a few big hogs with a 4.5" Taurus revolver in .45lc so it's definitely quite the capable caliber, but certainly not a Long Ranger and it does fall well under the 1.8" max length.

In a nutshell:

North of M46, anything that goes bang is allowed. Of course that don't include rimfire (22, 22magnum,17, 17HMR)....

South of M46 rules have not changed except that you can use a straight walled pistol cartridge in a long gun, example would be a Henry level Rifle chambered 44 magnum. Shot guns and Muzzle loaders apply in both the north of and soutn of M46, and of course long bows and cross bows.

There will be no deer permits in the UP this year.

Myself, I use a Henry 44 lever carbine both noerh andf south of M46.

Ohio has also adopted the straight wall cartridge riule....

In a nutshell:

North of M46, anything that goes bang is allowed. Of course that don't include rimfire (22, 22magnum,17, 17HMR)....

South of M46 rules have not changed except that you can use a straight walled pistol cartridge in a long gun, example would be a Henry level Rifle chambered 44 magnum. Shot guns and Muzzle loaders apply in both the north of and soutn of M46, and of course long bows and cross bows.

There will be no deer permits in the UP this year.

Myself, I use a Henry 44 lever carbine both noerh andf south of M46.

Ohio has also adopted the straight wall cartridge riule....

I found my dad a stellar deal on a Henry 44 Mag earlier this year. Sweet shooting rifle! Lightweight and nimble gun that's just plain fun to shoot. Accurate too!

I'm not trying to pick apart your explanation. But when I read the DNR's new law on this, I don't think it technically needs to be a "pistol" cartridge. Just a straight walled cartridge that does not exceed 1.8 inches in case length. And if I remember correctly, it also needs to be 357 caliber or larger.

I didn't hear the UP thing. Did you hear why that is?

I found my dad a stellar deal on a Henry 44 Mag earlier this year. Sweet shooting rifle! Lightweight and nimble gun that's just plain fun to shoot. Accurate too!

I'm not trying to pick apart your explanation. But when I read the DNR's new law on this, I don't think it technically needs to be a "pistol" cartridge. Just a straight walled cartridge that does not exceed 1.8 inches in case length. And if I remember correctly, it also needs to be 357 caliber or larger.

I didn't hear the UP thing. Did you hear why that is?

You're correct. As long as its a straight wall cartridge with a case no longer than 1.8" nor shorter than 1.16" and no smaller than .35cal., its legal in zone 3 during the regular firearm season.

Between back to back severe winters and wolves, some regulations were changed in the U.P.

Between back to back severe winters and wolves, some regulations were changed in the U.P.

I know a DNR officer well. He told me one time that 90% of the decision process for deer hunting in Michigan is decided by lobbyist for the auto insurance companies; how many deer we can buy tags for, if there will be an extended season, etc...

The lobbyists sway the DNR's decisions on those types on topics by the auto/deer collision numbers.

I don't know... That just rubbed me the wrong way when I heard it.

It does seem like there are less deer than there used to 15 years ago.

I hunt down here (Monroe County) and up north (Mecosta County) which is north of M46,

I use my Pierce 308 up north or the Henry or the CVA smoke pole or my 44 Smith. Down here it's a 10 point or smoke pole or ther Henry. This year probably the Henry both places.

I like the Henry. The Marbles sights are worthless in my opinion, it's a PITA to clean because of the receiver design but it mounts a Leupold 1-4 in gloss on Henry's rail and it looks GOOD. Don't shoot bad either.

I'll be squirrling as soon as the leaves fall with my 10-22 in the backyard.

I know a DNR officer well. He told me one time that 90% of the decision process for deer hunting in Michigan is decided by lobbyist for the auto insurance companies; how many deer we can buy tags for, if there will be an extended season, etc...

The lobbyists sway the DNR's decisions on those types on topics by the auto/deer collision numbers.

I don't know... That just rubbed me the wrong way when I heard it.

It does seem like there are less deer than there used to 15 years ago.
For one of my wildlife management courses in college I did a really in depth and well documented paper on the costs to the economy from "game problems".

At that time deer/auto accidents were costing the Auto Insurers more money than any other single type of claim. Of course there's a high cost in terms of human injury in those crashes as well so when you think about it, it really makes sens.

...and Michigan already has one of the highest insurance rates of any state with it's no fault MCCA addendum.

Anytime you paste a deer with a car, it's gonna cost and the deer isn't worth anything meat wise.

You need to google "Mike Bellm" and go to his website.

He has 3-4 cartridges made especially for Illinois and Indiana that will work perfectly for what you want.

Check out the 30 Bellm, 300 Wisper Improved, and his version of the 357 Max. I used the 357 max in Ohio and one of his TC barrels set up with his new chamber and 180s will really hammer and MOA or better accuracy.

1b.png

450 Bushmaster from 16" Bushmaster AR15. 37gr Lil gun with Barnes XPB 250 grain (454 Casull) bullet .75 @ 100 yrds approx. 2250fps. Same point of impact as factory ammo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.