44 cal straight wall cartridge opinions needed

I have a stretched .357 Max on paper waiting for a brass mfger accept work. Good luck plus 10,000 cases min order. Standard Max with 190 gr Fury was solid at 2250. I was hoping to hit 2500 with extended Max but not a snowball chance I can get brass.
Starline makes 223 basic brass that is already 1.8" unless you're married to a rimmed case.....problem is solved.

Not much wrong with the 450 bm. It's just more recoil than my wife can handle.

Most everything that has been proposed requires handloading. No reason you couldn't cook up a mild load for a .450. Lots of options people are providing seem to be replicating the ballistics of the .450 BM anyways. If you don't want to hand load, your best bet might be a .460 S&W single shot. You've got a pretty wide range of power/recoil balance between that and the .454 Casull it can also shoot. You could probably find a load that she can shoot that also gives you the performance you want.

Starline makes 223 basic brass that is already 1.8" unless you're married to a rimmed case.....problem is solved.
Just convenience since I have barrel easy to modify. I looked hard at the .223 option and still might be easy button instead of .357 brass.

Most everything that has been proposed requires handloading. No reason you couldn't cook up a mild load for a .450. Lots of options people are providing seem to be replicating the ballistics of the .450 BM anyways. If you don't want to hand load, your best bet might be a .460 S&W single shot. You've got a pretty wide range of power/recoil balance between that and the .454 Casull it can also shoot. You could probably find a load that she can shoot that also gives you the performance you want.
No issue with handloading. The 45 raptor was only available as a reloader only cartridge for years and my 338 edge is still that way.
The 240WB cut at 1.8" and a .429 expansion mandrel seems pretty easy. With a generous throat and a bear creek ballistics 44 cal bullet, could be rather special.

No issue with handloading. The 45 raptor was only available as a reloader only cartridge for years and my 338 edge is still that way.
The 240WB cut at 1.8" and a .429 expansion mandrel seems pretty easy. With a generous throat and a bear creek ballistics 44 cal bullet, could be rather special.
I use 240 Weatherby Mag. brass to make my 40 x 1.8"....just cut and resize....no worries about brass to short...because it uses the magnum rim to head space on not the case mouth....
Using a 30-06 just creates a problem like with the 450 BM....case gets hammered forward at the shot eventually making the brass to short....unless you use a Winchester model 70 pre-64 type action....I have found out the claw helps hold the cartridge not allowing the firing pin to push the cartridge forward upon firing...
I have a Winchester model 70 50 B&M SS controlled round rifle it uses 325 WSM brass cut to 1.65" I have shot cartridges 30+ times and still waiting for them to be to short and running them just over 60'000 psi....I have fired 450 BM in AR-15's , Ruger Americans and Christensen Arms that the most shots before a case got too short was 6 shots most around 3....

When I started shooting the 445 supermag the only way to make brass was cut down 30-40 Krag brass ream it and load it. That being said,the 30-40 brass is designed to work at higher pressure (40,000 CUP) In an Encore you could utilize that pressure. I was shooting a 335 grain cast bullet at 1500 FPS out of a 10" barreled revolver.
I wish I hadn't sold mine. It shot flatter than the 454 I replaced it with and would hammer deer. It was also very accurate. I used Win 30-40 brass and case life was good with max loads also. I wanted a lighter revolver than the Dan Wesson and regret selling it. It would be a good choice. Another good choice would be a .460 with a brake on it. I doubt it would be bad at all in a rifle set up right.

I use 240 Weatherby Mag. brass to make my 40 x 1.8"....just cut and resize....no worries about brass to short...because it uses the magnum rim to head space on not the case mouth....
Using a 30-06 just creates a problem like with the 450 BM....case gets hammered forward at the shot eventually making the brass to short....unless you use a Winchester model 70 pre-64 type action....I have found out the claw helps hold the cartridge not allowing the firing pin to push the cartridge forward upon firing...
I have a Winchester model 70 50 B&M SS controlled round rifle it uses 325 WSM brass cut to 1.65" I have shot cartridges 30+ times and still waiting for them to be to short and running them just over 60'000 psi....I have fired 450 BM in AR-15's , Ruger Americans and Christensen Arms that the most shots before a case got too short was 6 shots most around 3....
You're speaking my language. The only reason I don't want the 40 cal is bullet choice. 44 has a much better selection.
Look at the velocity in a 44 mag w/no mag restrictions in a 22" barrel. Add nearly .5" of an inch case and higher pressure brass. Think 2400-2600 is on the table.

You're speaking my language. The only reason I don't want the 40 cal is bullet choice. 44 has a much better selection.
Look at the velocity in a 44 mag w/no mag restrictions in a 22" barrel. Add nearly .5" of an inch case and higher pressure brass. Think 2400-2600 is on the table.

Thanks for posting that link. I may try some of their 44 bullets in my 10-14" Contenders and single loads in my rifles. That bullet should reach the 2400+ mark in a 445SM rifle.

Last edited: