Med/Long range not bolt gun?

coop2564

Curious how many shoot non-bolt guns for Med./long range hunting and targets? What's your rig?

I have a Ruger No.1 30-06 I just setup with a Nikon X1000 still working up some loads but its shooting TTSX 150gr .750 MOA. Working on some 165gr Accubonds now.

Today I took my Browning Bar Safari 300 WSM to range. I just did a makeover on it. Trigger job (5.5 to 2.5) and new Whiskey 3 4x12x50 hellfire scope. Its shooting great got 1.5" 5 shot 200yds group with 150gr. ballistic tips. Shot 5 rounds at 400yd 8'' plate all hits and shot 5 rounds at 500yd 8" plate all hits.

I have a dpms 308 that will shoot MOA out to 500. But my dream not bolt gun is a JP Lrp07 in 6.5.

I have a BAR safari 300 win that will do well on a 8 inch plate at 500. That's with factory federal with a partition. I'd love to really see what it can do

What work did you do on the trigger?

I shoot with 2 guys that run/have run fat rats in ar's. From my understanding it is a 6.5 Grendel necked down to 6mm and improved. Not a lot of steam to hunt, but high bc 6mm bullets and I have seen them perform pretty well out to 850.

I have an AR-15 I built off of an Aero enhanced upper/lower set. It does great out to 500. I also shoot a Patriot Ordinance Factory P-308 with a 16" barrel. It has consistently shot sub moa out to 600 yards with FGMM.

Curious how many shoot non-bolt guns for Med./long range hunting and targets? What's your rig?

I have a Ruger No.1 30-06 I just setup with a Nikon X1000 still working up some loads but its shooting TTSX 150gr .750 MOA. Working on some 165gr Accubonds now.

Today I took my Browning Bar Safari 300 WSM to range. I just did a makeover on it. Trigger job (5.5 to 2.5) and new Whiskey 3 4x12x50 hellfire scope. Its shooting great got 1.5" 5 shot 200yds group with 150gr. ballistic tips. Shot 5 rounds at 400yd 8'' plate all hits and shot 5 rounds at 500yd 8" plate all hits.
I shot Ruger #1's for a couple of decades and loved them but Ruger went through a period wherein they put a whole lot of them out that were a box full of problems accuracy wise and I gave up on them.

They are also very difficult to accurize due to the way the forearm is mounted.

Other than bolt guns all I shoot anymore are M1A's and AR's and I have one long barreled M1A that is very impressive for LR accuracy.

I also have an AR260 custom built off of a DPMS LR308 upper and lower receivers with the JP drop in trigger system that will reach way, way out there. With the 24" bull barrel it's a real beast to pack around though.

I shot Ruger #1's for a couple of decades and loved them but Ruger went through a period wherein they put a whole lot of them out that were a box full of problems accuracy wise and I gave up on them.

They are also very difficult to accurize due to the way the forearm is mounted.

Other than bolt guns all I shoot anymore are M1A's and AR's and I have one long barreled M1A that is very impressive for LR accuracy.

I also have an AR260 custom built off of a DPMS LR308 upper and lower receivers with the JP drop in trigger system that will reach way, way out there. With the 24" bull barrel it's a real beast to pack around though.

Yeah I had to bed and float the fore-end on my No.1 but it shoots great now.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.