Long time shooter, new to med-long range.

Echo5Hotel

I'm a good shot with the standard M-16A2 service rifle, getting 8 out of 10 at the 500yd line. Looking at purchasing a Savage 12BVSS 26" in 300WSM. Are there any others I should look at for the price in the $5-600 dollar range. What optics would compliment this well for $2-300? Looking to fire between 8-1000 yards. Great board by the way been reading it for about 2 months now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You are looking at the right rifle. If you get a good factory tube you might have a .25 inch inch gun. As far as optics for 300 dollar, I think you be served best by a 6-24 sightron SII target scope. They have as good of glass as leupold and they track really good. They also have plenty of internal adjustiment. I think they are the most bang for the buck in optics right now. savages have plenty of aftermarket parts if you want to dress it up. Good luck you are on the right track

The savage is probably your best choice. 2-300 dollers for a scope, the Bushnell 3200 10x40 is good($160-240), Sightron(I havent used them but most people think there ok, though they have 1/8min adjustments I believe), SWFA Super Sniper's all fixed powers, 10/16/20x($299-399), however in that price range ($249 at www.opticzone.com) the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40SF is outstanding. I've used all of them above (except the Sightron) and the Nikon is by far the best.

OK, thank you all for you input. Next question, would I be better off going with the .300WM for long action sake. Or, run with the .300WSM? Eventually I'd like to work up to a 338 Lapua or such. I know the action will limit me if I go the short route, or will it take me some time to get used to my new stick. Like I said before not looking at much more then 1200-1500 yards.

Personaly I would go with the 300win. Nothing wrong with the WSM, I've just shot the crap out of the 300win and think its about as perfect a medium range round can get. You can buy factory mach ammo for it, plus the slight velocity gain will help with hevier bullets if you really get past 1,000yds. If you want a Lapua, you'll have to go with a LA anyways. Now having said that the WSM's I have seen shot, did very well, and as long as you stay with 190gr bullets or less, you really dont lose any velocity over its big brother.

From having owned and shot most systems out there I believe if someone can handle the recoil about the best bet for an all around 0-900+yds gun for somebody starting out or that doesnt want to go custom, is a Savage 110FP in 300winchester. Haveing set up quite a few for buddies, its been my expierence, after makeing sure that the stock doesnt touch the barrel, with a good scope they'll AVERAGE 3/4 to 1 MOA at 400yds with Federal or Blackhills 190grSMK match ammo, and under 3/4 minutes with handloaded Amax's. The one I have now averages 2 1/2 to 3in at 400 and 4-5 inches at 600 with Amax's.

Final thoughts, the Savage Mod 12BVSS(preferred over 110fp)in .300wsm will do more then a good job out to 1000 and maybe a bit more with pratice? Should I feel the need to upgrade I guess I will just have to buy another rifle. Barrel life will be greater then the big brother and ammo is cheaper. Local dealer is willing to part with one for $570(new) and some change. Can someone explain the process of converting a 300WM into a Lapau? Also would you post major differences on cartridges and any side by side pics you may have.
Thanks and Semper Fi!!

Hi Echo,
I have a Win Stealth in 300WSM (a calibre option not available in your country) which shoots 1/2 moa all day with handloads. I think it is an excellent choice of calibre.

It will easilly do the business out to 1000+yds, even though it has slightly less capacity than the WinMag.
I prefer this case over the 300 WinMag for its more efficient short design and absence of a belt, using 185grn Lapua Scenars i can just reach over the 3000fps mark.

Unfortunately your savage is built on a short action and cannot be converted to 338 Lapua because it is a much longer cartridge.
If a 338 is what you will be hankering for in the future i would reccomend one of the 300RUM based 338 wildcats which could be built on any Remington UltraMag action or magnum action with feed rail work.
Brass is also much easier to obtain and much cheaper.

Ian

"I meant to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Go with the 300 WSM. It will stay with any 300 win mag made by anyone with up to 210s.

I have 3 and shoot in comp with them all the time and win more than my fair share.

Savage in the BVSS is going to be hard to beat for the money.

As far as scopes, leupold, nikon and sightron are all great for the money.

Would try calling Leupold direct, ask for Myrna ? in marketing and ask if they will give you a military discount. Assume your are USMC at Yuma.

BH

Optics: Nikon Buckmaster 4X14 Side Focus with mil dots. Best game in town for that type of money. Will put many scopes 2 to 3 times more money to shame.

Since Savage rifles only differ by accessories, decide if you want something heavy or portable. For a hunting rifle, I prefer something light. I don't intend on shooting more then what is in the mag anyways.

A reg. Savage/Stevens sporter barrel is stupidly accurate and the total rifle weighs lower then most. I would go with a 24" tube (just in case my hunt takes me into the thick stuff). Either cal will work just fine. I lean towards the Win Mag simply because of available ammo if I loose my handloads.

Don't get me wrong, I own several heavy cannons and lots of wildcats. However, I lean towards the more portable ones in standard cartridges for hunting.

When Hunting, I like KISS.

If you are not looking for a trigger under 2.5lbs, the Stevens 200 is a great buy and share all the attributes of a Savage. Just has the standard trigger which will need to be adjusted or replaced. Bed the stock and you are good to go. Those grey stocks are way more rigid then the black Savage ones. Bluing is much better too. Surprised that they put the more expensive action (this is the same action, minus accutrigger, on premium Savage models) and better stock on a cheaper rifle.

Jerry

Stevens Mod 200 looks like a good stick for the $$. Can anyone else shead some light on this rifle? I could get one in a few days or continue saving for another month and get the 12BVSS. In regards to the Stevens I could buy the rifle and put a Choate Tactical stock on it for the price of the Savage alone. Ohhh, so many options so little money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Well if your looking for more of a hunting gun, the Stevens will do fine. They arent meant for rapid shooting though, so comps are probably out. They dont offer them in WSM's, but you could get one in 300win, or even 308win. They shoot just like all the Savages, very good. On average (for me) the skinny barreled savages shoot about 1/4 to 3/8in bigger groups, versus the varmint/tactical versions, at 100yds. The 300win with Federal gold medal 190grSMK should shoot 1-1.25in at 100yds, I dont see there being much of a problem getting 3/4in with handloads.

I've already set a couple people up with the stevens in 308win with a couple of the scopes metioned above, and its about as cheap as an honest 600yrd gun can be.

I have made my decision. I'm going for the Mod 12BVSS in .300 WSM. With a 26" barrel can anyone give me some standard facory load data as far as to max velocity, range and bullet weight, bc...ect. How much better with hand loads could it get? Max range on sml to med game and paper target for comp shooting? Any reson to consider .308? Thanks

having problems ordering a Savage rifle through my dealer. He seems to think that Savage does not make a Model 12BVSS in .300WSM. Can anyone tell me Savage's manufacturer index number so he can order this for me. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.