Measuring a group size

**** didnt mean to get folks all riled up:cool: I just got done building a 6.5x284 and when i measure my groups "Outside hole to Outside hole" its well under a half inch. We were at the range and one of the guys said that it was a quarter inch group. Another agreed with me that it was under a half. So is it a under half inch gun, a quarter inch gun or just a **** good ragged one holer? Has nothing to do with hunting or target per say just more of a general question.
Carry on..
Thanks!

Sounds like a "ain't never gonna sell it if it shoots that good" gun. So who cares what a bunch of dudes on the Internet say. Hahahahaaa

Seriously though check out the on target software. I use regularly. It will measure anything you could possibly imagine.

Sounds like a "ain't never gonna sell it if it shoots that good" gun. So who cares what a bunch of dudes on the Internet say. Hahahahaaa

Seriously though check out the on target software. I use regularly. It will measure anything you could possibly imagine.

I too use the software ...

540GRH4350_zpsb6620aef.jpg

**** didnt mean to get folks all riled up:cool: I just got done building a 6.5x284 and when i measure my groups "Outside hole to Outside hole" its well under a half inch. We were at the range and one of the guys said that it was a quarter inch group. Another agreed with me that it was under a half. So is it a under half inch gun, a quarter inch gun or just a **** good ragged one holer? Has nothing to do with hunting or target per say just more of a general question. Carry on.. Thanks!
What does "Outside hole to Outside hole" mean? I can read that two different ways, and get two different group sizes.

I have another question. Since when did ES mean extreme spread of group width? The only ES I have ever been concerned about is velocity.

Remember long ago in algebra, x and y can be different, depending on context. ES can be extreme spread, velocity, if measuring velocity, or group size, if you happen to be measuring that.

Yeah I understand what the abbreviation ES stands for. In shooting/reloading I have never heard anyone refer to they extreme spread when measuring a group. I don't see any purpose in the extreme spread of a group other allowing a comparison to someone else's group which was measured center to center or inside to inside. But none of that means anything. Measuring and hopefully reducing extreme spread of velocity on the other hand is significant when shooting long range. To me the velocity is the only ES that matters. Referring to the ES of a group is nonsense, it doesn't tell you anything more or less than measuring the CTC of a group.

I too use the software ...

540GRH4350_zpsb6620aef.jpg

Either your scaling or your bullet diameter seems to be messed up there. I use Ontarget too, and the only time my bullet rings are that much larger than the actual holes is when I have something messed up. Just saying.

Either your scaling or your bullet diameter seems to be messed up there. I use Ontarget too, and the only time my bullet rings are that much larger than the actual holes is when I have something messed up. Just saying.

No idea what your "just saying"; I fired 5 shots of .277 150 NBT @ 100 yards out my .270AI while fireforming and it yield that target result.

Last edited:
I think he is saying, if you look at the target you just posted, the circles used in the calculation are quite a bit larger than the bullet holes. And, that is not his experience using that software, so he thinks you do not have the parameters entered correctly.

I think he is saying, if you look at the target you just posted, the circles used in the calculation are quite a bit larger than the bullet holes. And, that is not his experience using that software, so he thinks you do not have the parameters entered correctly.

Copy, thanks for the clarification.

I think as rifle loonies, we like to talk about group size because it gives us all a way to describe how a rifles shoot when we're talking to one another.

The common conventions are that the target was shot at 100 yards, and the size was determined by finding the maximum outside edge and subtracting a bullet diameter.

Unless you're a benchrest shooter, this is good enough to get the idea across to whomever wants to hear.

-nosualc

I think as rifle loonies, we like to talk about group size because it gives us all a way to describe how a rifles shoot when we're talking to one another.

The common conventions are that the target was shot at 100 yards, and the size was determined by finding the maximum outside edge and subtracting a bullet diameter.

Unless you're a benchrest shooter, this is good enough to get the idea across to whomever wants to hear.

-nosualc

This is exactly what i was looking for.
Thanks!
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.