McMillan Game Hunter (Edge fill?)

wilkup

I'm I can the beginning stages of planning my next build and am seriously considering this stock. I'm pretty certain I'll be going with the lighter "Edge fill" on this to shave some weight off.
I'd like to run a 50mm objective as close to the barrel as possible, but am concerned the comb? may be a bit too high for that size objective to fit as I wish.

Has anyone used it?

I don't have one but the specs show the comb to be 1/16" higher than the HTG stock. The only complaint I can remember seeing about the HTG was people complaining that the comb was too low.

Currently, I've got a Sako Hunter that's mounted with an EGW rail and Seekins low rings and it sits just right with my optic. That's why I am wondering.

The McMillan specs show a Sako Hunter has a higher comb than the Game Scout.

My 300 WM is in a Game Scout. It has a NF SHV 5-20X56 in tally's. Cheek weld is perfect for me. Very nice feeling stock.

Here's the drop numbers for the stocks:
Game Scout = 9/16"
Sako Hunter = 1/2" front; 5/16" rear
Game Hunter = 1/4"
I must be reading this wrong. I thought a lower drop number meant a higher line of sight in regards to scope mounts.
My question was actually about whether I'd have a cheek weld that was too high for the rail and rings I'd like to mount. Based on the Game Scout offering a perfect weld for BEEMAN, I think the Game Hunter may have too much height for the setup I had planned on using.

I mis-read your original post. All of my comments were referencing a Game Scout stock.

I don't think you can ever have too much comb on your stock. At least I have yet to see it on any of mine.

Have these two: Game scout with NF 50mm obj in Talley med rings.

HTG with NF 50mm obj on a 20 moa NF rail in Med NF ultra light rings.

Had a Mcmillan hunter (there brand of Sako). That fit was the best of all three. It had a 30mm tube and 40 mm obj.

Neither of these give me the stockweld that puts my eye perfect without cheekpads.

HTGs are great looking/good feeling but low combs have always been an issue at least for me. Even with 1" tubes.

I would think if you have an issue it would be with too much drop. I myself prefer the Manners stocks for shooting prone due to less drop at comb and heel. You don't say what kind of shooting you will be doing...

Will, you really have to either try stocks on or get an adjustable cheek piece to know, I get some in that a guy has set up perfectly for himself and I can't even get my head in a position to see through the optic, everyone is so individual in this area! The hardware from LRI is just over 2 ounces, only way to fly IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.