Mcmillan A2 stock question

Naymola

New McMillan A2 -- in stock at LRH Store

Building a new project, thought I'd try an "A" stock, of McMillan's this time. I'll be carrying it around a lot in the field, so I want to avoid any extra weight. I wanted to avoid the adjustable cheek piece set up, which adds about 8 ounces. Looking at the A2 stock, on their website, it mentions the comb is "extra high", assuming it's higher than the other "A" models. Anyone have an A2 and could confirm that for me please?
When I called their shop to ask this question,the girl I talked to, couldn't confirm, nor the other girls I heard her ask in the back ground. The woman I dealt with, was short with me and bordering rude. She needs some time off.

Thanks, Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't get the info here that you need, check out stockysstocks.com.

Whenever I've called in with questions, they seem to go out of their way to help.

Well... I thought they sell McMillan. But, it looks like I was wrong. Lots of other good choices though.

-- richard

I have an A2 but I have never shot an A5 or any other Mcmillian for that matter, but i can tell ya that I have a 20 MOA rail, hi rings w/ my NXS and I needed an additional cheek riser for proper line of sight. If you are worried about weight, my cheek riser is 2 pieces of sleeping pad foam held in place by one of those black stretchy shell holders, weighs nothing, costs about 8$

Building a new project, thought I'd try an "A" stock, of McMillan's this time. I'll be carrying it around a lot in the field, so I want to avoid any extra weight. I wanted to avoid the adjustable cheek piece set up, which adds about 8 ounces. Looking at the A2 stock, on their website, it mentions the comb is "extra high", assuming it's higher than the other "A" models. Anyone have an A2 and could confirm that for me please?
When I called their shop to ask this question,the girl I talked to, couldn't confirm, nor the other girls I heard her ask in the back ground. The woman I dealt with, was short with me and bordering rude. She needs some time off.

Thanks, Gary

I have bought 1 McMillan and 1 Manners stock in the past 12 months, I was a little underwhelmed by McMillan's service too. Actually the Manners stock seems better made as well.

you could also go with the defensive edge cheek saddle. i think its about $80. i read a little while back that mcmillan is offering the A2 with their edge technology build. Its much lighter than the standard fiberglass and should be stronger. they don't say anything about it on their site or catalog, but there are a couple guys that have them. i personally like mcmillans too. their build times seem to take forever though.

I have bought 1 McMillan and 1 Manners stock in the past 12 months, I was a little underwhelmed by McMillan's service too. Actually the Manners stock seems better made as well.

I haven't finished my rifle yet. But, the Manners stock I got is a formidable weapon all by itself. :D ...very heavy. So, probably not what Naymola's looking for.

I can't comment on McMillan except that the choices were too complex for my simple mind. Manners too. But, the ladies at Stockys had answers.

Here's a completely different approach...
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/xlr-industries-73661/
It's not for everybody. But, it peaked my interest.

-- richard

The answer to your original question is...

The comb height on the A-2 is the same as all the other "A" series stocks from McMillan.

Thanks guys for your input. Joel, you say the A2 is no different in comb height than the others? What the hell? Well, I'm looking at the A5. Do I need that " Butt Hook"......... Otherwise the A3 is looking pretty good. Ya, it sure takes a while to get a McMillan stock, they said 4 months. I ordered a Bat action this week, that's 6 months. And then to put it together, that's a 10 month wait going with Mr. Tannel. Patience my dear..... If I can have it by next "chuck" season, I'd be happy.

Thanks guys for your input. Joel, you say the A2 is no different in comb height than the others? What the hell? Well, I'm looking at the A5. Do I need that " Butt Hook"......... Otherwise the A3 is looking pretty good. Ya, it sure takes a while to get a McMillan stock, they said 4 months. I ordered a Bat action this week, that's 6 months. And then to put it together, that's a 10 month wait going with Mr. Tannel. Patience my dear..... If I can have it by next "chuck" season, I'd be happy.

I like the butt hook for allowing the free hand to manipulate the rear bag.

And, I prefer a straight bottom for better tracking and to avoid vertical stringing that may be more apt to occur with a sloped bottom.

-- richard

I haven't finished my rifle yet. But, the Manners stock I got is a formidable weapon all by itself. :D ...very heavy. So, probably not what Naymola's looking for.

I can't comment on McMillan except that the choices were too complex for my simple mind. Manners too. But, the ladies at Stockys had answers.

Here's a completely different approach...
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/xlr-industries-73661/
It's not for everybody. But, it peaked my interest.

-- richard

Ha!, no doubt about the weight. I think Manners can build most off their stocks lighter too though, same as McMillan.

Ha!, no doubt about the weight. I think Manners can build most off their stocks lighter too though, same as McMillan.

I just had a A2 made for my Weatherby, They can use hunter fill to make it lite, that's what I had them do for mine. It turned out to be a little lighter then the B&C stock that came on the rifle. I love it. I also have a A5 on a CZ 550, now that one is heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.