Max load question

Drummer1818

Tonight I was reloading rounds for my .338 LM and I decided to go with Berger bullets as they seem to be the popular choice! I purchased some cheaper bullets (Sierra 250grn MatchKings) just to get through the break in process and copper equilibrium build up as cheaply as possible! I noticed that I was putting more powder in the case for the smaller bullet than my Berger 300grn hunter elites! So my question is the Berger 300 grn says max load is 72.9 with about 2519fps but the Sierra bullet with the same weight can go all the way to 78.2 with my powder and reaches 2650 FPS! I would really like to run the hotter load but I want to make sure it is safe first! So is it safe? can I put 78.2 grns of powder in the case when the bullet manufacture says no, if another company says yes?

Thanks!!!

These guys are right. Lighter bullets will use more powder than the heavier bullets in the same cartridge. Do not put the charge for a 250g bullet under a 300g bullet. Bad things will happen.

Be careful.

Steve

I agree with the rest of these guys. Always start low and work up to your rifles max, if that's what you're after. If you're going to use anyone's data from a manual, always go to the bullet manufacturers manual...they know better than anyone what their bullets friction/drag will be.
Please keep it safe, good luck!

I used a low to middle listing from Hornady for a 225 pill in my 338378 Why that was low pressured enough to dent cases. Freaked me out. Just use caution, like some one else mentioned.
Edit: Just went back and checked the archives-I had forgotten that my dented case problem was probably mostly attributable to a wet chamber, not necessarily just a light load.
Gregg

Last edited:
i always start in the middle and work up. Your rifle will tell you what it likes and also when you are reaching max if you know what to look for. i see no reason to shoot max loads. drop back a bit and you will find better accuracy and your brass will last much longer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.