Load Max Claification

jp308

I've noticed in reading multiple articles, there are many load recipes with the 175 SMK on top of up to 44 grains RL-15 in 308 WIN. My Sierra loading manual states that 41.3 grains RL-15 is the max load with a 175 SMK. These higher grain recipes are an attempt to replicate M118 LR loads. My question is are these loads greater than the stated Sierra max of 41.3 safe?

"My question is are these loads greater than the stated Sierra max of 41.3 safe?"

Anyone trying to answer that will probably lie to you about other stuff too. THE reason different sources show different maxs is they got different results in different rifles. Your's is different from their's so YOUR max may be more or LESS than theirs. Blindly going to a book max without proper load work up is foolish no matter what the books say.

The only way to find the actual max load in any rifle with the components you wish to use is to start low and increase the charge in perhaps .3 gr. steps. Go up until something comes apart and back off .6 gr.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.