Another Max Load question.

captdavid

I'm loading for a 280, new commercial mauser action and a 26" Shaw barrel. Primers are CCI200, brass is R/P new or once fired and full resized. I am over book max in my loads. I'm using RL22 and H4350. According to the computer my 4350 load is appx 57500psi and the RL22 is appx 53500. Both shoot an acceptable 3000fps with a 150BT. I'm happy with both groups. Both shoot under an inch, with no tweeking. I use a lot of 4350 and prefer to use it, but many consider RL22 the better powder. Which would you choose? capt david /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When you say you are over, are you over Hodgdon's data or are you over your computer programs data. I wasted money on quickload. The program always tell me I'm WAY over even when I'm under the my manuals max loads.

As far as powders if you get the same results then the H4350 is a no brainer. It is temperature insensitive where the rl-22 is temp sensitive.

With regards to overloads - did you wokr up to your load? If you did and had no pressure sign along the way then you should be ok. Just be careful.

I am considerably 5-10% above Hogdon 2006 manual and RL, except they only list a 145gn bullet I concider myself a cautious reloader, in spite of the above. The estimates are QLs. It's just that the 280 is loaded somewhat lower pressures than the 270, and I would like to 'push'it a little closer to those. I've just begun to develope rounds for this gun, it's new. I've shot less than 75 rds through it. with the 3 loads each above the bolt lift is fine and the primers show no sign of pressure. I agree with you on the 4350, but others have said it might not be the one. thanks, capt david

My Mauser tells me the load is too hot when the primer pockets are loose.

If a primer falls out at the range, I am 2~4 grains too hot.

A more accurate way is to measure the extractor groove expansion.
.001" of change will not make the primer fall out in one or two firings, but it is still too much.

Knowing that the 1892 Mauser case head design is at it's limit at 65kpsi in the 270Win, also corresponds with the Quickload pressure predictions 65k ~ 70k psi, when I get extractor groove expansion in .243, 257RAI, 7x57, .308, 30-06, and 8x57.

The fact that Quickload is estimating the velocities right on the money with what the chrono says is also giving me faith that the pressure.

I know someone who can do Von Misses calcultions on stress in the case head and he says,

[ QUOTE ]

The Mauser case head nominal condition chamber pressure for the initiation of case head yielding with H06 C26000 brass is: 76,977 psi

[/ QUOTE ]

picture of brass overloaded in a Mauser

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts