matrix 6.5 160gr bc update

deadlift

Official LRH Sponsor
So I've been playing with my 6.5x280 ackley and Matrix's 160, this is what I found out. With a MV of 2941 the bc out to a tested range of 1331yds is .665 and expansion is good, I got to test it on a 'yote at 92 yds. Double shoulder, hard ball sized exit.

Attachments

• yote 9-1-14.jpg
    yote 9-1-14.jpg
    481 KB · Views: 146
I've had good luck sticking with .680-G1 then again, I run a MV of 3100. out to 1140 so far... I might plug in .665 just to see the difference, thanks for the update.

That poor little 'yote.... never saw it coming! Good shooting gun)

t

Outlaw- which case are you using for 3100?

Dead lift - can you share some details on your rifle, reamer, dies and load? I have a couple 6.5-06's and one is nearing the end of its barrel life. I'll be staying with something in the 6.5 caliber and have been considering the 6.5-280 ackley for the rechamber.

Did you have a reamer made up for nosler 280 ackley brass necked down? I was thinking to use redding bushing dies to neck down and I assume there is a body available but what are you using for a seating die?

Thanks

Yeah that 'yote was in the wrong place! :D
I'm running 59.7 grains of retumbo with nosler brass. Its an easy neck down with redding comp bushing dies, and I just seat with the 280 ack seater. Runout on virgin has been .002 or less, so I'm happy. My rifle is a remmy 721 converted to 700 specs and a Manners EH1 with HS prec dbm to solve any feeding probs from the sharp shoulder. I wanted to hit 3000 but havent been able to do it yet, this week I'm gonna try H1000 to boost the velocity. The reamer is a no turn match set for the 140's from PTG. So far I'm really impressed with the round. And I'm leaving on the 15th to go chase high buck/bear, so hopefully I will have a bigger critter to test bullet performance on. And pics up here :)
Chris
Benchmark

I'm running a 6.5 WSM. Norma .270wsm necked down.

Did you run into any issues going that route? Which powder has worked best and are you able to keep the extreme spreads low?

I have played with a couple 264 win mags. They were both factory senderos but I suspected the case volume was a bit too big and had problems keeping the extreme spread low enough for long range shooting. I was using 140 Bergers then but I would assume that there would be even more empty space left in the case going to the 160's before I hit pressure.

I've been using the 150's in my 6.5-06 and they shoot great but if the 160's turn out to be good for hunting ( jackets not too thick to expand) I'd like to find something to send them out at around 3000fps.

Yeah that 'yote was in the wrong place! :D
I'm running 59.7 grains of retumbo with nosler brass. Its an easy neck down with redding comp bushing dies, and I just seat with the 280 ack seater. Runout on virgin has been .002 or less, so I'm happy. My rifle is a remmy 721 converted to 700 specs and a Manners EH1 with HS prec dbm to solve any feeding probs from the sharp shoulder. I wanted to hit 3000 but havent been able to do it yet, this week I'm gonna try H1000 to boost the velocity. The reamer is a no turn match set for the 140's from PTG. So far I'm really impressed with the round. And I'm leaving on the 15th to go chase high buck/bear, so hopefully I will have a bigger critter to test bullet performance on. And pics up here :)
Chris
Benchmark

Thanks Chris.

Do you at all find that the 160's are stuffed inside the case a bit much and leaving some more room for velocity being that the reamer was set for 140's?

Do you happen to know what the hs mag leaves for oal length inside?

Barrel length on your rifle?

I see your from benchmark, I've been using your barrels on my most recent builds and they have all been great!

Thanks for your time

I'm running a 6.5 WSM. Norma .270wsm necked down.

Did you run into any issues going that route? Which powder has worked best and are you able to keep the extreme spreads low?

I have played with a couple 264 win mags. They were both factory senderos but I suspected the case volume was a bit too big and had problems keeping the extreme spread low enough for long range shooting. I was using 140 Bergers then but I would assume that there would be even more empty space left in the case going to the 160's before I hit pressure.

I've been using the 150's in my 6.5-06 and they shoot great but if the 160's turn out to be good for hunting ( jackets not too thick to expand) I'd like to find something to send them out at around 3000fps.

I've only played with one powder in this case so keep that in mind. With N570, ES has been darn good. What other issues do you have in mind?

t

My COL is 3.410 to the tip and I have .25" left in the mag. The top of the boat tail is at the bottom of the shoulder, thats why I wanna try H1000 as retumbo is really compressed. Thanks for the kind words from Canada! Always good to hear!
Chris
Benchmark

Attachments

• IMG_20140903_124014750.jpg
    IMG_20140903_124014750.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 137
I've only played with one powder in this case so keep that in mind. With N570, ES has been darn good. What other issues do you have in mind?

I have had quite a few split necks in my 300wsm cases, it did get better with annealing but they seem to split more than any other case I have used. Have you run into this?

What seating die did you use for the 6.5 bullets in a wsm case and if you didn't build yours on an actual short action how have you found seating those long bullets deep into the case?

Also not that I'm overly concerned with barrel life but what do you think your looking at for an accurate life of the barrel?
Thanks

My COL is 3.410 to the tip and I have .25" left in the mag. The top of the boat tail is at the bottom of the shoulder, thats why I wanna try H1000 as retumbo is really compressed. Thanks for the kind words from Canada! Always good to hear!
Chris
Benchmark

Thanks for the pic. That's perfect. I'd love to know how the h1000 works out if you could update the thread afterwards.
If it helps you get started I run 57.4 grains of H-1000 behind a 140 Berger in one 6.5-06 to get 3030fps in a 26 inch 8 twist and 55.6 H1000 behind a 150 matrix in another 6.5-06 to hit 2940 fps in a 8 twist 26 inch.

Gary from Bighorn Sales who does most of the importing for your barrels is great to deal with as well

I have had quite a few split necks in my 300wsm cases, it did get better with annealing but they seem to split more than any other case I have used. Have you run into this?

What seating die did you use for the 6.5 bullets in a wsm case and if you didn't build yours on an actual short action how have you found seating those long bullets deep into the case?

Also not that I'm overly concerned with barrel life but what do you think your looking at for an accurate life of the barrel?
Thanks

I have had excellent results with this batch of Norma brass. A different lot of 6.5x284.... split necks. I've multiple load on non-annealed brass so far with zero issues. I personally feel I got a bad lot of x284, it happens.

I'm using a 6.5x300wsm seating die IIRC. This rifle is a single shot/Short action. This rifle was actually chambered for the 130grn CEB's & they're long bullets.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.