160gr Matrix

CliffM

With the interest in the 6.5 / 160 Matrix bullet I thought it would be good to have a thread for these bullets.

With close to 150 fired I had not done a seating depth test.
I have been loading them either .010" into or .010" short of the lands.

Today's test included .030- .050- .070- .090- .110 off the lands with 2 powders. Each round fired was one seating depth with both powders

There was a squall coming as I started the first round and the wind was a gentle breeze not over 5mph. The second and third rounds the wind picked up to where the target was swinging and I just tried to time the shots with the swing. The last round was blowing 10-18mph I had to place a log against the target in order to get my aim point to stay still.

That said you can draw your own conclusions from the pics.

Matrix bullets 007.jpg
Matrix bullets 008.jpg
I hope this will be of some benefit to those considering these bullets.

Next target : Black bear!!!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff for starting this. I am getting geared up to give them a try out of my 6.5x284. What caliber are you shooting? Barrel length and velocity?

Thanks, Riley

Thanks Cliff for starting this. I am getting geared up to give them a try out of my 6.5x284. What caliber are you shooting? Barrel length and velocity?

Thanks, Riley
It is the 6.5 Sherman 26" Pac-Nor 3 groove
Velocity has been up to 3050, but these I would guess 2950- 3000. A little too blustery to set up the chrono today.
Cliff

Cool, so do you think in a 6.5x284 with a 30" barrel i could hit 2900+? I think i should get close.

I was planing on using H4831 but i have some h1000 and retumbo i could give a try, maybe i can even shoot a few with RL 33....... I will post on this thread what i found.

Marshal from Matrix said a 1:8 will stabalize it just fine in most conditions. The bullet is only 1.49" long.

yes it is, if you send him an email he might send you a sample. He said he made a big batch last week.

I think that might be the ideal bullet for my 6.5 Sin, I take it that the 160 is still in testing phase.

It oughta huff 'em out there!!
It looks like bullet seated with the boattail junction at the base of neck the COAL would be 3.524"

For myself there is not much left to do but decide on which load, verify drops, get a turret label made, and go find a target with fur.......hmmm , and maybe some more bullets.:)
Cliff

I was planing on using H4831 but i have some h1000 and retumbo i could give a try, maybe i can even shoot a few with RL 33....... I will post on this thread what i found.

Please do, Riley. I am sure I am not the only 6.5-284 shooter here wondering what your results will be.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.