Matrix 165 grain 270 WSM dope

Bigcat_hunter

Ok so I am thoroughly impressed with the accuracy of this bullet. I am trying to figure out my dope. My chronograph is a Magnetospeed which is new to me so I haven't had a lot of experience with how accurate it is. It says I am shooting an average 2850 fps with an ES of 14.

I am zeroed at 200 yards. The drop is perfect until to reaches 900 yards, then it shoots about 6" to 8" low. I am using a G7 bc of .325 (the actual G1 BC is .650). Should I lower the velocity or the bullet BC? Everything else is correct( baro, humidity, temp, scope height etc.).

What say you?

According to an Applied Ballistic's comparison and detailed report that I read yesterday you can trust your Magnetospeed to with in a couple of FPS.

bigngreen is most probably the world's least known expert on the Matrix 277 165. True!

I shoot the 165 in a 270 Allen Mag and have a G7 bc of 0.336 plugged into shooter.

Having said that, I haven't shot beyond the 300 yard zero so I can't say much about actual bc out of my rifle.

Drops chart development starts shortly as we have pretty much completed our long distance camera set up to eliminate all that traveling back and forth to the target.

The miles add up pretty fast.

As I mentioned above, you can trust you muzzle velocity.

Also, keep in mind that it seems that every barrel shoots the same bullet with a slightly different bc.

FWIW

For some reason I've got it stuck in my mind that I ended up running a BC in the .316 or .318 range despite what I can find in my program which has been copied a few generations and that was pre magneto speed also, I would lower the BC a little and shoot more ranges and adjust the speed maybe 10 fps from what you measure before looking at other variables.

I went to the range today. I had to lower the BC to .315 and lower the velocity to 10 fps lower then what the chrono stated and now she is right on the money. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.