mass produced or custom 338 lm?????

If you get a long range rifle that is NOT a .338 Lapua Mag. I recommend a 6.5 Creedmoor. The 6.5 CM uses a .308 magazine but has far superior ballistics to a .308 Win.
I have a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 CM and it is good to 1,200 yards with great accuracy and definitely less wind deflection than a .308 Win.

But if you want a good magnum without the eye-watering cost of the .338 LM ammo I suggest a .300 Win mag using 230 gr. Berger Hybrid bullets. That bullet stays supersonic long after other .30 caliber bullets have gone subsonic. That bullet and my 40 gr. match 6.5 CM bullets have almost identical trajectories.

Eric B.

I picked up a Savage Model 112 magnum target 338 Lapua.
It's the only rifle in a factory configuration that I saw, that would give me the best possible chance of good accuracy at the 1200-1500$ price range.
It has a heavy 26" barrel with the Savage target trigger and a very stiff, solid single shot action. And it was a good choice. It's shooting hex coated 300 grain hybrids at 1/2 Moa. I am working on some 285 ELDs to see how they do.

My suggestion is to buy a factory gun, like a Savage 112 magnum, and shoot it for a while. If you like how it shoots, you're done. The reality is that the more you shoot it the better you'll understand what you're looking for in a LR rifle. .

For a target rig the M112 is the rig.

You guys are NOT making it easy for me. Every time I walk into my favorite LGS, the 112 is conveniently displayed on the counter calling my name each time. I'm trying to behave myself and need to save up after my full custom build late last year. :):Dgun)

You guys are NOT making it easy for me. Every time I walk into my favorite LGS, the 112 is conveniently displayed on the counter calling my name each time. I'm trying to behave myself and need to save up after my full custom build late last year. :):Dgun)
Just think of the possibilities of having a Lapua bolt faced action with a barrel nut. :D

For those counseling against the Lapua, remember the WIND blows. We shot with 50 guys on steel Saturday and my Lapua and 7 SAUM were beating steel to death at 1k. The wind wasn't that bad it was switchy and 12-18. I am used to a lot worse and the local guys aren't but the other part is they were all running Creeds and 308s. We shot over 100 rounds on the 1k stuff and neither me nor my spotter saw anyone else hit and most didn't even try. All this PRS small case stuff is fine for PRS. A big BC big case will still walk all over a smaller case and BC if the driver is equal.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.