3000 yards with 338 LM?

Thank you everyone for the comments. It is obvious that the 338 LM just would not be the best choice for a 3K competition so I have decided to pass on this competition and look for one closer and offering the oportunity to use the 50BMG.
You might think hard of swapping the 50 for a 416, 408, or 375. You'll enjoy it more, spend less to roll your own, and not have to worry about paranoid states.

Next time you're headed for Terlingua give throw me a PM if you'd like Spotter. My new place isn't far.

You might think hard of swapping the 50 for a 416, 408, or 375. You'll enjoy it more, spend less to roll your own, and not have to worry about paranoid states.

Next time you're headed for Terlingua give throw me a PM if you'd like Spotter. My new place isn't far.

Nah, bigger IS better. And besides I have 1,000+ rounds to dispose of.

I will check with my host about bringing an outsider aboard. As you know, people out in those parts are very suspicious of "strangers". If you aint family, or in my case, VERRRY good friends, you might get shot.........from 3 miles away...! It took me 15 years of cultivating this friendship just to get the invitation to visit...LOL. Very sweet young lady that I am partial toward.

From experience talking to guys that own the 50/416/408/375, the consensus is the 375 is the best all around ELR cartridge. Long brass life and accuracy is excellent. The 416 seems to be the overall best in accuracy at the longest ranges but typically one load brass use. The 50 BMG definitely king of the heap is the most powerful bad *** round but accuracy isn't as good as the 375 or 416. Sure there have been some impressive *** groups at 1000 yards but that's not the rule, it's the exception. This is all info I've received not personal experience. Couple guys that actually shoot in the KO2M Comp's. They both run the 416 Barrett round but claim for most, the 375 is the best all around cartridge. If money were no object, the 416 gets the nod according to the ELR guys. I'd love to step into the 375 but financially no way I could go bigger than the 375. Just can't justify the cost. My 338 LM improved is pretty reasonable even today but at 210-220 grains of powder in the 416 and solid bullets around 2.00 ea, not my kind of party.

Nah, bigger IS better. And besides I have 1,000+ rounds to dispose of.

I will check with my host about bringing an outsider aboard. As you know, people out in those parts are very suspicious of "strangers". If you aint family, or in my case, VERRRY good friends, you might get shot.........from 3 miles away...! It took me 15 years of cultivating this friendship just to get the invitation to visit...LOL. Very sweet young lady that I am partial toward.
Well tell him I'm a local and that the family has been in W TX/NM for a hundred and forty years. I've got my own place at Sanderson but 3k isn't a possibility there.

OK, I have a dilema.

I have signed up for a 3000 yard challenge.
I was planing on using my Fisher/McMillan 50 BMG but the match is in California where the rules are unbelieveable. And I MAY not be able to bring my 50BMG into the state. If I were already in the state and the gun was registered there, it MIGHT be possible, but from out of state (Texas) and the regulations against stops at motels, gas stations, and eateries it MAY not be feasable. I was planing on staying at my sisters in Vista and operating from there and a motel. But the law in CA seems to obviate that? But we are still researching that. I am willing to jump through the hoops as need be.

So, will my 338LM be able to compete with the local 50s at that range? Yeah, I know, "it depends on me".
Democrats suck.

OK, I have a dilema.

I have signed up for a 3000 yard challenge.
I was planing on using my Fisher/McMillan 50 BMG but the match is in California where the rules are unbelieveable. And I MAY not be able to bring my 50BMG into the state. If I were already in the state and the gun was registered there, it MIGHT be possible, but from out of state (Texas) and the regulations against stops at motels, gas stations, and eateries it MAY not be feasable. I was planing on staying at my sisters in Vista and operating from there and a motel. But the law in CA seems to obviate that? But we are still researching that. I am willing to jump through the hoops as need be.

So, will my 338LM be able to compete with the local 50s at that range? Yeah, I know, "it depends on me".
I'm confused. Does the California range competition allow the 50bmg ? If so, your in. If not, you won't be competing against any other 50s. Maybe I missed something. To answer your question if you do have to compete with any 50 caliber at 3K, I think the answer is an overwhelming YES. You can compete. 3000 IMO is a bit long for the 338 Lapua but within its capability. Environment will impact it more than it will the 50 but I believe the 338 Lapua is a far more accurate round than the 50 is over all. Impacts will be nearly impossible to see at 1.5 miles when not on the target. Only one way you'll find out.