Marlin 882 paint job and simple tweeks

Discussion in 'Rimfire and Airguns' started by top predator, Nov 28, 2011.

  1. top predator

    top predator Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    261
    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2008
    My brother in law wanted me to play with his Marlin 882 a little. After a cheapie trigger job Marlin 822 / 925 / 25 etc. trigger mod. / job , the next thing he wanted was a paint job. I originally was going for a Multicam look, but then it went in a different direction.
    First was to remove the open sights, as he was only using it scoped. I also replaced his rings that where slipping on the dovetail with Weaver Quad locks. Before paint:
    [​IMG]
    Then removed the action / barrel fromn the stock. I used acetone to remove oils, blue painter's tape for masking, a lint free cloth for wiping, scotch pad for scuffing the stock and metal, and a tooth brush for the checkering and hard to reach spots.
    [​IMG]
    Since the stock was off, I thought I'd open the barrel channel a little. I also removed the butt and grip plate and stuffed the stock cavities with plastic grocery bags to help muffle that hollow sound.
    [​IMG]
    Getting the gunk out of the checkering:
    [​IMG]
    I also lightly sanded the molding marks in the stock, gave it a roough scuffing with the scotch pad, and wiped it off with acetone and lint free rag.
    Give the action, barrel, and scope a scuffing too, then wipe with the acetone. Mask off what you don't want painted. Remember all those things on your scope that you want see like the labeling of magnification, turret numbers, the lenses, etc. Stuff the inside of the receiver with papertowels, any vent holes, and plug the muzzle. Give it another pass with the acetone
    [​IMG]

    ---continues below---
     
  2. top predator

    top predator Well-Known Member

    Messages:
    261
    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2008
    ---continued---
    I sprayed the receiver / barrel seperate from the stock, then the stock. Once it's dry, I put them back together and gave it a quick dust coat. Krylon Khaki Camo ultra flat.
    [​IMG]
    I then removed the masking, then came the next first pattern, Krylon Drab Green Camo ultra flat. Applied with a horsehair brush.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then added some more shadows, Krylon Brown Camo ultra flat. Some flat grey primer "highlights". Also added a stoney point target turret converter I had laying around idle to the elevation knob to give it another user friendly feature, touched it up to match the rest of the scope.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]