Marks on bullets after chambered.

Zerk

I noticed on factory ammo 2.60" and handloads around 2.70" for my Savage predator 11 .243 win marks on the bullet, after being chambered. Maybe 3 1/16-1/8 grooves. Hornady Vmaxes.

I chambered a round in a 30-06 no marks. Different brand of bullet, a Nosler. I have no other 243s to compare.

Is this normal? The bolt locks a little tight. I tried loading up a long round, and kept chamber until I felt no resistence. It was hard. It got less, but never went away. Only 70 rounds through it,both factory and hand load, 2.60". Maybe just lucks up good. It is a varmit barrel.

Should I have any concerns? I am I just being paranoid? I usually don't look this close at ammo, maybe has done it on various guns my whole life.

Should I get a no go gauge? I bought the rifle new in 2015.

Thanks.

It is possible the chamber is cut short.

A No Go gage won't help in this situation. A Hornady Lock-N-Load OAL Gage and headspace gage would help.

I would call Savage Customer Service immediately. Savage has a one year warranty. If still under warranty they will check the rifle out and replace the barrel if necessary.

1. Measure a bullet COAL BEFORE you put it in and close the bolt. Pull it out and measure COAL again to see if pushing the bullet back in the case.

2. Hard seating with the bullet into the lands normally leaves a mark from .030-.050 on the bullet and hard to measure exactly. That does not sound like a chamber issue and short chamber that much would not allow bolt closing at all most likely.

3. In spite of the difference on the COAL between factory and reloads when you pull the cartridge back out the marks should be in exactly the same space.

4. Go/No Go guages in this case may not tell you anything more likely. Sounds like you have an issue with length of the throat, not the chamber if they are going in far enough to leave marks and pushing the bullet back.

Out of warranty. Will be two years this spring.

The two Savages I have, have been nothing but issues. I have had rounds get cockeyed and jam on this one.

Accuracy never impressed me. Though it has package Nikon scope. Planning on getting something better before developing loads.

Out of warranty. Will be two years this spring.

The two Savages I have, have been nothing but issues. I have had rounds get cockeyed and jam on this one.

Accuracy never impressed me. Though it has package Nikon scope. Planning on getting something better before developing loads.
You are obviously not happy with Savage as a whole. If you mis-stroke any gun it can cause feeding issues even a $7000 DGR rifle.

ISSUES are generally just part of guns in general. With current manufacturing tech AND consumer demand for EXTREMELY CHEAP guns (A Savage or Remmy cost the same in 1980 as they do now) ISSUES are going to be present. Even a $2000 semi custom will have ISSUES.

Either figure the issues out and turn them into great shooting rigs OR contact a smith, send him $5k and wait 2 yrs for a rig that MAY not have any ISSUES.

I have been running Savage SINCE I figured out I can do ALL of the work needed on one with about $80 in tools. Switch barrels, triggers, stocks or any other part without a lathe or mill AND make them shoot under .5 MOA without waiting for OR paying a smith to do it.

If you really don't like the brand just sell them and try something different.

I would give them a call anyway. If it's a short throat, and a safety issue with factory ammo, they may fix anyway.

Regardless, seems a good idea to know exactly where the lands are. Then you will know if you want to talk to them or even take the rifle to a smith. Below is how I determine distance to the lands on my Savages. It's the best method I've ever used. I remove the elector first to help get a more accurate reading.
[ame]https://youtu.be/TWmIwPwLyyg[/ame]

Iheadspace gage would help.

For the round to check shoulder? I have one for 30-06, should probably get one for 243. But I have seen this with factory and handload rounds.

It was about the same spot. About 1/8" from brass.

I would give them a call anyway. If it's a short throat, and a safety issue with factory ammo, they may fix anyway.

Regardless, seems a good idea to know exactly where the lands are. Then you will know if you want to talk to them or even take the rifle to a smith. Below is how I determine distance to the lands on my Savages. It's the best method I've ever used. I remove the elector first to help get a more accurate reading.
https://youtu.be/TWmIwPwLyyg

I am sure they will handle an overly short throat even if you don't mention your brother is a trial lawyer.

Was thinking it would help you to know just how long the case and chamber is to the shoulder. Could measure a factory load before firing and after. If it is growing .002 to maybe .010 after firing it might verify that the shoulder is now what is causing the hard bolt close. Could then full length resize a cse as much as possible to see if it's the shoulder. If not you would know it's the bullet hitting the lands. Then just keeping seating the bullet deeper until it's no longer touching the lands and see what you got. If the COL is way shorter than SAAMI spec, then it might have an issue.

It is really strange that factory ammo is have that issue.

I saw a decrease in COAL with 58 Vmax, red tips. .003. I wonder if that is from smooshing plastic tip with calipers. So I made up a 100 interlock SPBT. Didn't seem to decrease.

Also the 100 grain interlocks seemed to close easier. 105 g Amax, seemed to close hard too. Why would the red tips make a difference? It is the tip,not the shoulder.

I have been running Savage SINCE I figured out I can do ALL of the work needed on one with about $80 in tools. Switch barrels, triggers

If you really don't like the brand just sell them and try something different.

I do like that you can change barrels. I would consider buying one again, to build something. Can replace triggers just as easy on other rifles.

My other bolt rifle is 1975 700, maybe that is to high bar, compared to new rifles. Smoothes, chambers easy, magazine appropriate size. Never one issue.

Either way I own 2 Savages, cause I like the price. I am not sure if this is an issue yet or not. I never noticed it before, but never tried to determine the space before, so never looked bullet after chambering.

The marks are in one spot, about 1/8 long, 1/8 from brass, little less actually. Would it be all the way around? 3 marks, around 1/6 at angle.

Can you do a cell phone pic? The land marks are usually very subtle and hard to see. Sometimes it is good to color the bullet with a black magic marker and insert it. The marks usually show up better that way. Also good to clean up the bullet wit very fine steel wool to erase and land marks, etc already on the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.