chatter marks on chamber and accuracy

tbrice23

I have a new savage m12 br in 6mm norma. The chamber has the worst chatter marks on the shoulder. New lapua brass has generated good groups(5 shots .180 to mostly in the .3's). I have a return label to send it back to Savage to clean up the chamber or rebarrel. Im afraid they will send it back worse than what I have now. Should I leave well enough alone or roll the dice and hope for improvement in accuracy with a smooth chamber.

Attachments

• 20130719_111659.jpg
    20130719_111659.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 145
I would NOT accept that as "quality" on a factory new rifle

I have a new savage m12 br in 6mm norma. The chamber has the worst chatter marks on the shoulder. New lapua brass has generated good groups(5 shots .180 to mostly in the .3's). I have a return label to send it back to Savage to clean up the chamber or rebarrel. Im afraid they will send it back worse than what I have now. Should I leave well enough alone or roll the dice and hope for improvement in accuracy with a smooth chamber.

Thanks Sully. I cant believe they have a quality control department.

Was probably a Monday morning, 8:30 am rifle or someone forgot to turn the coolant on.......:D

Things happen with production rifles, any brand.

I cant believe it groups. One reason I hate to see it go is that it renders ZERRO copper after first range session, hope its as accurate or better with a smooth chamber. I just forsee problems later in brass life even though I have a forrester bump die.

I tried bumping up to .003 and still had problems .Even after re annealing the ones that chambered a little harder set up different vibrations and just didnt group with the others. That lapua brass isnt cheep.

very similar to Savage LRPV in 6BR Norma I got as a replacement...

6mmchamber8.jpg

6mmnorma17.jpg

So I replaced its barrel with Criterion, issue solved....

Just sent it back UPS on Savages dime. If the new one doesn't shoot ill use it for fire forming.Who chambered it for you? Does anyone know of a highly recomended gunsmith in northwest indiana? Ive worn out my 338 win mag and I have a vanguard s2 rc that im going to use for a fence post.

nope not blanks, they make Savage prefits., call Northland Shooters Supply, Jim got good selection of them

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts