Mark v hates barnes vort-x

Oldschool280

Having a good amount of factory ammo for my 300 weatherby i have not handloaded yet, but will start today. The rifle has been very accurate with all sorts of ammo be it weatherby. federal. Tbbc, origial barnes x ect. I bought a box of 180 ttsx ammo loaded by barnes in their vort-x line and my God, the rifle shot like a romanian mosin nagant at 50 yds. 4 inch groups. So today having time and materials i'm going to roll some of my own in a 180 sst flavornand some 200 partitions. Any wAy to identify the powder barnes used? Guess its fertilizer after i pull them down. Unless somebody here has a rifle that like them

A lot of factory ammo is loaded with a proprietary blend of powder not available to the public. Besides, it's not a great idea to be guessing what powder is what simply by looks. I would go online and look at Nosler, Hodgdon, and Alliant loading data. I would personally try some H1000, Retumbo, IMR 7977, RL26, and IMR 8133 with those weight bullets. Any of those powders will be good choices for what you're loading.

A lot of factory ammo is loaded with a proprietary blend of powder not available to the public. Besides, it's not a great idea to be guessing what powder is what simply by looks. I would go online and look at Nosler, Hodgdon, and Alliant loading data. I would personally try some H1000, Retumbo, IMR 7977, RL26, and IMR 8133 with those weight bullets.
I have just about all of the powders you mentioned on hand. I didnt need load data, thanx anyway just curious if anybody had an idea what barnes used. So your vote is fertilizer

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.