Mark v action ?

btap1991

I have a weatherby mark v 6.5-300
Was think of converting for a 338-378
Outside of getting the bolt face bigger would this work out since the the action is already a magnum action?
I'm thinking if it was just a revarrel and buying a bigger bolt and everything else still worked would be worth it vs trying to build one
I really like their action especially for this round needing a mag length
Thanks for any input

So is there a difference in capacity size in the mag or what is the diff between a 338-378 and regular Mark v mag action ?

Same action. It's hard enough finding a gunsmith to work on a Weatherby, even harder getting one to open up the bolt face and replace the extractor.

If you just want bigger than your 33 Nosler, have you considered a 338 RUM? Better brass and ammo available than the 338-378 and it will run right on its heels.

Same action. It's hard enough finding a gunsmith to work on a Weatherby, even harder getting one to open up the bolt face and replace the extractor.

If you just want bigger than your 33 Nosler, have you considered a 338 RUM? Better brass and ammo available than the 338-378 and it will run right on its heels.
Figured this since I have a mark v action already and fitted stock so if it would work
I would just need a barrel and buy a new bolt from weatherby.. assuming that would work would be cheaper than building a entire gun and making use a good action vs buying one

Figured this since I have a mark v action already and fitted stock so if it would work
I would just need a barrel and buy a new bolt from weatherby.. assuming that would work would be cheaper than building a entire gun and making use a good action vs buying one
Not just a whole lot cheaper by the time you get through buying the parts and having a good smith do all the work.

I like the idea and I'm with you on the 338-378. I'd say do it. Not that hard to find a smith if you are willing to send out the barreled action. Might not find it local but not an issue really.

I am having a 338-378 built on a MKV action but it was already a 378 to start wttih that needed a new barrel. I agree with the others, I would sell the 6.5 and just buy the 338-378 if I was in your shoes. It will be WAY cheaper by the time you are done. Even just re-barreling mine, with a high gloss blue finish it will be about $1,200. Opening up the bolt face, getting it to feed right and changing extractors would easily add another 600 bucks. You should be able to sell and re-buy for far less than 2 grand.

I have a weatherby mark v 6.5-300
Was think of converting for a 338-378
Outside of getting the bolt face bigger would this work out since the the action is already a magnum action?
I'm thinking if it was just a revarrel and buying a bigger bolt and everything else still worked would be worth it vs trying to build one
I really like their action especially for this round needing a mag length
Thanks for any input
This might be a little off subject. Sorry, don't know enough about gunsmithing but, if you do convert it or get rid of the 6.5-300 I would buy any brass if you have some. Thanks and good luck.

Check around to see if any of your trusted gunsmiths will work on Weatherbys. I have heard that not many smiths want to work on them.