Mark V 300 WBY

I've shot, an UN-Braked .270 Wby MkV for years with, Hornady 150's and now shoot, a .270 WSM ( UN-Braked) with, 140 Bergers.
Both HAVE, Killed, Elk,..very well at, normal Hunting Ranges !
And, my Shoulder is, .. Happy !
I subscribe to, Roy Weatherby's, theory of,.. Lighter Bullets, Fast, Flat and, "Scramble", the "Boiler room" !
IT, "works" for, Me !

Comparing recoil, bullet selection , down range energy, trajectory , frontal area --- with the criteria being ELK--- logic favors the 7mm wby all day, every day. The only reason OP wants to move down from 300 wby is recoil. The 270 wby will not offer any noticeable reduction in recoil over 7mm wby.

Comparing recoil, bullet selection , down range energy, trajectory , frontal area --- with the criteria being ELK--- logic favors the 7mm wby all day, every day. The only reason OP wants to move down from 300 wby is recoil. The 270 wby will not offer any noticeable reduction in recoil over 7mm wby.
NOTE he already has a hearty supply of
Correctly headstamped .270 wby brass and ammunition….not complicated

Shouldn't be hard to sell the 270 wby brass -
I suppose not. How easy and economical do you reckon it'll be to replace it with equivalent quantities of 7mm wby brass? Just seems needlessly bothersome. And again, with the 160-175 grain bullets now available in .277 cal a fast twist .270 wby is at NO disadvantage.

I suppose not. How easy and economical do you reckon it'll be to replace it with equivalent quantities of 7mm wby brass? Just seems needlessly bothersome. And again, with the 160-175 grain bullets now available in .277 cal a fast twist .270 wby is at NO disadvantage.
The new bullet weights in .270 caliber do make it much more capable. Finding brass is time consuming right now. It took me several weeks to find Peterson 300 wby brass to neck up to 340.

Personally I would still go with the 7mm wby in the OPs situation - I also agree it won't make much difference going with a 270 and it is convenient to already have brass.

Even with new heavy .277 cal bullets the 7mm wby can and does still put the 270 wby at disadvantage - even if it is slight and even if you don't want to acknowledge it. It's just math.

If you want to go down from the 300 wby in recoil, and elk are the goal it seems obvious 7mm wby is the way to go. Forget about the 6.5-300 and .270. Also stick with a wby cartrid

The only reason I'm not going with the 7mm wby is that I already have two 280ai's and I have no brass or dies for the 7mm wby. One of my AI's shoots 168 berger vld's very well. I may just elk hunt with it. The load it shoots well is mild, I really wanted something with a little more pep but I doubt the animal would notice the difference.

If it's not less recoil then it's doing the same work. All I care about is what happens when the bullet lands, the ONLY thing I was more happy about with my 28 Nosler over my 270 WSM is elk past 1200 yards and that was more about the 195's for the 28 as I'm out of 180's for the 270's. Elk we're no more dead in normal ranges with a 7 than a 270 or a 6.5 for that matter!!

If you have the brass and don't want recoil a guy would be hard pressed to do better especially if you pickup some Hammer bullets, it'll make a seriously nice elk rig!!

See if Weatherby will put a new 300 Weatherby fluted Stainless Steel Accumark 26" barrel with Accubreak on it for you.

The new bullet weights in .270 caliber do make it much more capable. Finding brass is time consuming right now. It took me several weeks to find Peterson 300 wby brass to neck up to 340.

Personally I would still go with the 7mm wby in the OPs situation - I also agree it won't make much difference going with a 270 and it is convenient to already have brass.

Even with new heavy .277 cal bullets the 7mm wby can and does still put the 270 wby at disadvantage - even if it is slight and even if you don't want to acknowledge it. It's just math.
I'm well aware of the math. The fact that you included "frontal area" as an advantage for a 7mm over .270 makes the rest of this logic suspect. .007" of an inch worth the hassle of selling off all existing and perfectly satisfactory stock to obtain new, perhaps academically superior, components? In this component economy!?!? I'll freely admit I'm a .277" fan but this is not emotional or illogical for me, no attachments here: the OP HAS A BUNCH OF .270 WBY STUFF ALREADY AND IT WILL DO WHAT NEEDS DOING PERFECTLY. That's it, that's all I'm coming from here, it would make my decision easy is all. If we're going with math and advantages in horsepower his original .300 wby dances ballistic circles all over any 7mm as a dedicated elk rifle but he's expressed comfort with and the desire to take a step down.

Just practicality. I do acknowledge that there are presently no .270 bullets that quite equal the 180 eld-m - 195 berger/SMK class of 7mm bullets…but again, that concern seems academic and not really a problem.

Totally unrelated…a .340 wby running Peterson brass sounds awesome!

Last edited: