.338 Lapua Improved on a Mark V Action?

Well I am building a .338 Lapua Improved on a Mark 5. I am first wondering what barrel length to go with? I am going to use the 300SMK, and I think a 1:9.4 Twist. I am also wondering if anyone has had any luck with making or mating a magazine to a Mark 5.

Thanks in advance.... gun)

Nice man, thats one of my dream setups. I love the Mark 5 and anything in a big .338. Now to answer your question you need to be a little more specific. What do you want the end result to be? a Big Boy for stricktly long range work that you take no farther than 1K from the truck? A does everthing well rifle? light weight with extended range? Im assuming that your not going light weight with your caliber choice, but you never know.
If it were me and I wasnt taking it far, I would go with a 30"-32" finished length (including brake) and go to the Kahn. If I wanted just a sloid hunting rifle that I could shoot LR with I would go with a 26-28" finished legth (including brake). If you want to go light wieght chamber it for .338 RUM or Norma.

9.4 is good if you only want to shoot the 300's and is a great choice. 1-10 stabilizes anything from 210's to 300's and is very versitile (my do-all RUM has a 1-10).

as far as a DM goes it would have to be done by someone that is comfortable with weatherbys. I have only seen one on this forum on a lapua. And unfortunatlly I dont remember who's it was... (maybe BROZ?)

Good luck and remember to post some pics

OK,

The Rifle is meant to be heavy, but I will carry it as far as is needed. My 300WBY is about 15pounds, and I take it sheep hunting. I will be using mostly 300SMK, but may also use the 265 Barnes I think the 1:9.4 will stabilize this bullet as well, but I may have to consider the 1:10. I am using the McMillan A5 for a platform. The rifle will be used mostly for LR target, but also for Hunting. I have acess to CNC and may try to see if I can make up a platform to accept a center feed cbox mag, but will need a good mag to start with..............?

I believe the longest DBM is from Wyatts precision. most of defensive edge rifles use them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.