Making bullets

bigngreen

$2200.00 to get into it my ***!! 20 years ago just my dies were $5600.00 and THAT didn't include the presses required to do quality work....which there were 5 of!! By the time you figure YOUR TIME, cost of the jackets...which you're probably gonna have to buy from Walt Berger (you'll take a bend-over there with no lube by the way) and wire lead.....you're right back to square one if not more on cost! The only major benefit is IF you eventually learn how to make a good quality bullet...is just the self-satisfaction that you learned how to do it!! My suggestion is BUY BULLETS IN LARGE QUANTITY.....and spend your time on the range!!:Dlightbulb

It does not have to be that expensive if you consider tool steel dies as an option and you will still make some good bullets.

Some years ago, a friend got some bullet making dies from Don Rorschach and talked with him and Clarence Detsch about making 30 caliber match bullets. He was able to make bullets that equalled what those "special" boxes of Sierra Match King bullets we used to get in plain brown boxes of 1000 each. Sub half-MOA at 600 yards with both. He used his RCBS A4 press to make 'em.

Sierra no longer makes available those super accurate bullets that shot 30 to 40 percent better than what they sold in green boxes at retail. If one has the time and start-up costs available, they could probably make very accurate bullets.

If one can easily shoot 2/3 MOA at 600 yards with what Sierra offers today shot in their rifles using their techniques, they may do better with home made bullets with good tools and dies plus a lot of extra time. Otherwise, spend time and money on better barrels, completed rifles coupled with better shooting and reloading techniques.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.