pic of barnes bullet making

goodgrouper

Took this pic awhile back and thought it might interest some of you guys who shoot Barnes.

THis is the steps they undergo to make their x bullet:
howbarnesaremade.jpg

GG,
Barnes has a new bullet in the works called the MR-X which has a polymer tip and a tungsten core in the rear. It was written up (poorly, in my view) by Dave Scoville in the latest issue of Rifle Magazine. It should hit the market early next year, at least in some calibers and weights.
Festus

Very interesting combination. I will look forward to that if the price is right. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Reminds me of the samples I got while touring the CCI and Speer plants in Lewiston Id. We were allowed to take whatever we wanted in the way of samples or even loaded .22 ammo (one or two, not a handfull) all they asked was that we don't touch anything and then put it back. I got to see a .22 caliber test barrel that was 6" in diameter. The Ballistics lab was pretty cool as well.

Thanks for the picture. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Re: pic of new Barnes bullet

Since Barnes has let the cat out of the bag now finally, I can show you a pic of that bullet. I've had it now for almost a year courtesy of a mystery man (or woman) which explains the tarnishing.

It is a tungsten/tin cylinder core with the triple shock look on the outside. The tip is delrin and black.

They have had the machine to make these for quite some time but have yet to produce them commercially. It must be breaking their bank because the machine cost is in the 10's of millions and they have yet to yield one penny from it so far!

With the intro of this bullet, I might just become a Barnes shooter myself! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Sorry for the blurriness. My camera is farsighted.
newbarnesbullet.jpg

backofbullet.jpg

OK so what is it supposed to do for us? Something fantastic I hope so we all want them and help pay for the machine. It has to have some fancy catch.

Well, from what I've been told, it will mushroom out to over double it's diameter all the way down to 1400 fps and it will withstand high impact velos as well. The other word on it is that the measurements on it are near perfect-10x more consistent than the x bullets were.

And the core is actually heavier than lead so the rest of the bullet can be made to "normal" lengths which should prove to shoot better in most peoples rifles.

We shall see.....

(Radio announcer voice)

Will this be the end of the accubond? Will fast twist BBLs become a thing of the past? Will bullet comparison become a lost art?

Tune in next week and find out.

Horn, Grouper
I just shot the XP-whatyoucallit into water-filled plastic jugs at 25, 100 and 200 yards. Interesting result was that the recovered bullets from each distance - were all the same. Accuracy is very good in my GAP rifle.

Looking forward to the new Barnes boolits - I have a story about them also but...

Just got a scope in a plain cardboard wrapper that has a very unique reticle system - ooops, that's another secret...

Also got the new Bonded Shockwaves... but they aren't hush-hush anymore.

Also have a can of H-869.

(only one problem - it is empty, for photo purposes only)

Needed a break from writing one of two articles that need to be in NY tomorrow. Might be a long evening. Sorry if this bugs you guys
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Now that has me interested! Finally, a Barnes with a decent BC!

My worries are:

1) Cost. Tungsten itself ain't cheap and it's a bitch to manufacture.

2) They won't make them heavy enough. For example, if the heaviest 30 cal they make is a 180, basically all we're getting is a TSX with a BC finally close to what they advertised in the first place (it won't be any higher than a Scirocco, A-Max, Interbond, etc). A fine bullet, but will it justify the cost? Make some 220's, 240's, etc...now we're talking! But velocity is what sells to the masses so I'm worried they won't.

Just my random thoughts. It'll be interesting to see how these things turn out.

[ QUOTE ]
Also have a can of H-869.

[/ QUOTE ]
That sounds almost like H-870. Err...not quite. Close though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'll be interested to hear what it's all about.

GG,
Didn't mean to steal your thunder. A friend told me he had read the article in Rifle so I found it myself and read it. I had forgotten you had mentioned a "Barnes secret bullet" in one of your posts a couple of months ago.

I don't see how this new bullet could be priced "reasonably" but if it is really a spectacular bullet it will only hurt on the range, not on the hunt. I remember when Speer was playing around with Tungsten. I bought a box for my .416 Rem and I think they were about $3 each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Festus

Oh no, I'm glad you posted that you saw them in a magazine. I have been wondering if I should show a pic of the new bullet for almost a year now but was afraid to because of all the secrecy behind it. I never read store shelf hunting magazines so I didn't hear they had finally released the cat from the bag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.