Making A Case For The 308 Winchester By Michael Eichelle

Count me in as a long-term .308 shooter. Have worn out a few .308 barrels, and that takes a few rounds downrange. Every time the rifle gets close to needing a new barrel, I start thinking about converting it to a .300 WSM... But so far it's stayed a .308 Win. This barrel is a 24" Krieger with the good old 1:12 twist which seems to work very well for me. I've used it for match shooting, as well as for deer, varmints and predator hunting.
7b54e0fb.jpg

Regards, Guy

Thats a nice stick.

I am really greatfull for all the positive replys so far. When I got home yesterday and saw there were 2 pages of replies I thought I had started a war! I am glad everybody got the sense that I was not trying to prove it better than other cartridges, rather to show that there are underlying qualities about it beyond the exterior ballistics and that the ballistics for practical hunting ranges between calibers based on the same case are alot closer than most will give it credit for.

Thanks again.

M

Michael - I don't anticipate a "war" - most of us .308 shooters are real practical types, and we know it's no .300 Weatherby!

It is however a very useful cartridge, even for long range hunting. I think you did a good job of pointing out some of the advantages it has, like long barrel life (my Kriegers typically go 5,000 - 6,000 rounds before I swap), mild recoil, good accuracy from well proven match-type loads...

Regards, Guy

I must not been paying attention to the title of the article, I thought this writing was going to put down the .308. Glad I read the piece. Michael actually said that rifle will never die.

That is great. Because I just my first .308 two weeks ago. It is a Remington 700 Police. I was concidering a 300 win mag over the 308, but I decided the later. For a few reason over many. (1) Barrel life, (2) Less recoil, (3) Cheaper to reload, the last is what got me to the 308 (4) It has been used in long range shooting for a long time. Granted, the military has other calibers they are using for long range sniping, The 308 is still being used in our armed forces.

I can't wait to get it out and shoot.

wow i really like this article,now I`m off to the search engine here, to find out what 308 bullet delivers the best downrange OOMPH.

Down range OOMPH will meen different things to different shooters.

For instance, mathematically one bullet may clearly have more 'OOMPH' over another but wont expand and just pencil through whereas the other bullet may have less mathematical energy or 'OOMPH' but opens up and expands effectively and transfers the 'energy' to the game. In a way, the latter would have better 'OOMPH' than the bullet that didnt expand.

The below statements are my opinions only.

The best all around long range OOMPH factor goes to the 208 AMAX. Ran in a 26" 11x barrel at 2500 FPS she will have 926 pounds of mathematical energy and enough retained velocity for at least some form of expansion at 1K in standard air. I have run them as high as 2550+.

A good second is the 200 SGK. A fairly low minimum impact velocity requirment (1500 FPS according to Sierra) and a decent hunting bullet design with a decent BC. My accuracy load is 2500 FPS but have run them safetly over 2600 FPS. At 2500, the impact velocity threshold is just over 750 yards. Where this threshold is crossed there is also 1000 pounds of energy. From a hunting stand point the 208 AMAX and 200 SGK have the most 'OOMPH' at long range in a 308. Other bullets may have a better OOMPH factor in other 30 cal cartridges due to the higher velocities achieved. When you factor in the lower starting velocity of the 08 you need bullets that will have a better than average BC and lower than average minimum impact requirments. This leaves the Nosler Ballistic tips, Hornaday AMAX's & BTSP's, Sierra game kings and other simple lead core bullets.

Honorable mentions for LR OOMPH are the 168 Nosler BT, 168 AMAX, 178 AMAX, and the Hornaday 190 BTSP. Not in any specifec order.

When small critters are encountered such as wolves, coyotes, javalina, bobcats and other vermin the 155 Berger, or 155 AMAX are very tough bullets to beat. Good BC's at good velocities with phenominal accuracy and very low recoil.

Remember, these are only my opinions.

Last edited:
Michael, have you noticed a difference between the 168 amax and the 178??

I got a new rifle in 308 some months ago and have been using it for shooting goats with the 168.-<Made some nice kills at up to 670 yds with a "no confirmed" at 880.....yes it takes the bullet longer to arrive than a laser cartridge but once it´s there.. the animal does nt notice the difference. I have been thinking about trying the 178 for abetter BC but I am not sure it will really compensate for the loss of velocity. Shooting a 22" LW barrel.

BTW I forgot to ask.. how do you like the 177 GS bullets?? Is the BC as advertised?

Will they open up at extended ranges???

Thanks

Michael, have you noticed a difference between the 168 amax and the 178??

The only real difference is about .020 in the BC department. I am running the 168's at 2833 and the 178's at 2750. It is nearly a wash at hunting ranges. I use the 168 due to the fact that my rifle likes that bullet better than the 178. It does fairly well with the 178 but shines really bright with the 168 AMAX.

BTW I forgot to ask.. how do you like the 177 GS bullets?? Is the BC as advertised?

Will they open up at extended ranges???

Thanks

I actually cannot vouch for it. The example used in the article was a mathematical hypothetic example.

Another member here is using the 177 and stated the BC to be very very close to advertised.

Michael,

Thanks for the great article.

The question I have is, what powders and primers should I start with? I have Nosler Brass and 168gr. Sierra MK's.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.