Gear For Dall Sheep Hunting by Michael Eichelle

I wouldnt say I have been dissapointed with the old remington 788 I used on my first sheep hunt. It did fine. I just prefer a heavier rig and dont mind packing the extra pounds. I prefer heavier because it affords me a bit better stability when shooting from a really windy ridge top as well as less effects of the dreaded cold bore shot due to the more ridged barrel. Dall sheep hunting can be done in 80 degree weather or below freezing, sometimes well below the freezing mark. So I prefer to cut down on the cold bore effects by using a stiffer barrel rather than a long skinny whippy barrel. I also prefer very heavy duty scope rings and bases for the occasional bumps and bruises so ofter incured during a sheep hunt due to the rough terrain. Each hunter would want to take their most trusted rifle into sheep country. For me, it is my 11 pound 308.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts