Magic Bullet

Thunder Stick

Hi all
I'm trying to get some ideas on bullets for deer. I know the talk here is LRH but are you realy gonna pass on a nice buck at 20 yrd. I'm shooting a 7mm RM, 150 sierra game kings and 65grs H-1000. My rifle loves this concoction but the bullets blow up at close range. So I'm looking for some ideas on bullets that will hold together close but still do the job at long range.
Thanks
Thunder Stick

hey thunderstick.
No ! I wont pass , why should I ?anything I shoot that is lethal at 5,6,7 or more hundreds of yds. whatever will be that and more at 20, 100, 200, 500, etc.shoot the Nosler accubonds if your worried about it.
As always , shot placement is paramount, put one through there lungs and it's yours ,in short order.
im

I have blown up match bullets in a 7mm mag but never game bullets although I tend to shoot Nosler partitions if the range might be close. At close range, 20-30 yds, the 7mm does so much damage that I switched to a smaller caliber because too many of my shots are in that range.

To follow up on Jimm. About two weeks ago, I sectioned a 160 gr Accubond and a Hornady 162 hunting bullet (not Amax) and the Accubond jacket thickness is about twice that of a normal hunting bullet. You will trade bullet expansion for penetration. The Accubonds are expensive bullets but are more accurate than the partitions. If you don't expect to shoot more than 300-400 yds then the partitions will probablay get you deer killing accuracy. Where I hunt you have to actually hunt for a place where you can see more than 150 yds and even then the deer will come up behind you and try to get your peanut butter and jelly sandwiches out of your backpack while you are taking a siesta.

If you think the shots might be farther then pay the extra money for the Accubonds.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.