Bullet ?

The Accubonds have proven as accurate as the Ballistic Tips but outpenetrate the Partitions in nearly every case I have seen. Plus, in the larger magnums, they also seem to retain a bit more weight on average then the Partitions.

Only drawback is that they generally can not be seated close to the lands in standard length mag boxes, at least in factory rifles.

Anyway, if I were to use a commercial 30 cal bullet, it would be one of the Accubonds that I tried first.

Kirby Allen(50)

Anyone have experience with acccubond 165s out of the 308?I had great accuracy with them out of the 7mag but terminal performance was questionable,the the 308 is slower and probably more consistent with Acs.

my 308 uses a 24" barrel. I get 2900fps with a 165. its good for longrange, for a regular hunting rifle, 500yd stuff. I have used sierra and then nosler. I really like my 125s for deer some times the 150. I have had the gun forever so thats why Im all over the board. I wont admit to the long ranges I have shot with it. but it has made afew magnum guys ****ed. Its a great caliber enjoy it.gun)

I was out near Augusta setting up some flywheels for my practice range last Sun,2 crows landed in our stuble,394 yards,got one with the first shot.It groups VERY well at 300,but I know I can do better on accuracy than what Im getting with these soft tip Hornadays I loaded up.They were cheap and make a decent hunting round for early season.I wonder how different the open nose barnes TSX and the ACs will group?

my 308 uses a 24" barrel. I get 2900fps with a 165. its good for longrange, for a regular hunting rifle, 500yd stuff. I have used sierra and then nosler. I really like my 125s for deer some times the 150. I have had the gun forever so thats why Im all over the board. I wont admit to the long ranges I have shot with it. but it has made afew magnum guys ****ed. Its a great caliber enjoy it.gun)

Mark, what kind of powder are you using to get 2,900 with a 165? I have shot a few 308's
& I have never achieved that.

BTW, the 140 Accubond was more accurate than a ballistic tip or anything else in my 270 last fall & terminal performance left nothing to be desired. I will be trying the 165 in my 308, but right now I need to test the 168 Bergers, I just picked up a box.

Wich hunting bullet have you found the most accurate in .308?I know the Ballistictips are very accurate but I an looking for another make.

I a 300 win mag that would not shoot the accubonds, but it would shoot the sciroccos very well. Both are seating depth sensitive in most applications.

James

Nonya, you might want to try the 165gr Hornady Interbonds. Apparently rifles either hate or love these bullets. I am fortunate that mine loves them and I have since quit looking for the perfect bullet for my 30.06. I've killed a bunch of deer, antelope, and one bear with them and the performance is exceptionally good. It's not an eat right up to the hole type of bullet as it will cause some damage, but it's a kill them right now bullet, and that's what I prefer.

Im shooting the 165 interbonds right now,they shoot ok.I ended up with the 168 gr A MAXs,SW was out of everything that had a .308 on it except them.Id like to know what kind of powder and charge you are useing to get those speeds as well,mine are well below that with a compressed load.

I've been very happy with the Bergers as a hunting bullet and it has a great BC. I also have had good results with Accubond. Overall the 168 VLD would get my vote.
Good luck.

Sierra 180SPBT/2630fps

Is the most accurate hunting bullet in my .308W. It shoots in 0.6" five shot group and expands well up to 350yards. The core separation is the main problem with this otherwise accurate bullet.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.